New GTX 970M

I am going to get the new one with the 970m installed. The reason I am going with the GS is because it is lighter and I travel a significant amount and don't want to lug the GT series on my back around the airports and other locations.

I am going to get the new one with the 970m installed. The reason I am going with the GS is because it is lighter and I travel a significant amount and don't want to lug the GT series on my back around the airports and other locations.

I lugged my GT around a college campus for a year :p. Before that I had an Asus G73. Wasn't too bad with the backpack I had.

I have done it in the past, but I have a work laptop to carry also. The two combined would be close to twenty pounds if I got a GT. I like the GT series because the bang for the buck. You can definitely get more power, but the weight is an issue.

SMaller doesn't always mean lighter, then again laptops are extremely light these days anyways. My 18.4" Qosmio is almost the same weight as my ****master 6000 for 2006 with about 20x the power at 10lbs. I would definitely not mind having a Eurocom Panther 5 in my backpack which is 12lbs and almost as powerful as my main PC which is 40lbs. Basically the equivalent of 2 text books in a backpack and I used to carry 4 in high school lol. My keyboard is almost as heavy as this laptop.

Edit: 2 laptops. Damn. Would your work allow you to simply do a dual boot on one laptop?

Ah fair enough then. Well let me know when you get a new GS how the cooling is on it. Would definitely be interested if they keep as cool as the GT series.

My GT70 is ~8lbs + probably 2 for the AC adapter.

@PP
I haven't asked, but the main problem with work software is it isn't fully tested on Win 8 or 8.1. This is my company Avtec Inc.com. We make dispatch software purely Windows based.

But from my personal experience everything works fine.

I plan on asking the boss man if I can just use the one computer for both purposes, if that is the case then I will be getting the GT series for more breathing room and power.

Hmm can dual boot 7 and 8. DOesn't the GT have 2 HDD bays or mSATA? Or would your boss let you run your work stuff in a VM? Carrying a single "heavy" laptop is one thing but 2 **** that.

@PP
I haven't asked, but the main problem with work software is it isn't fully tested on Win 8 or 8.1. This is my company Avtec Inc.com. We make dispatch software purely Windows based.

But from my personal experience everything works fine.

I plan on asking the boss man if I can just use the one computer for both purposes, if that is the case then I will be getting the GT series for more breathing room and power.
My buddy did that for the place he works at lol. He does a lot of rendering and stuff with AutoCAD and such...and convinced them to pay for half of a Dragon Edition GT70...which was $4k when new just last year.

Hmm can dual boot 7 and 8. DOesn't the GT have 2 HDD bays or mSATA? Or would your boss let you run your work stuff in a VM? Carrying a single "heavy" laptop is one thing but 2 **** that.

Yeah the GT70's all have 2 HDD bays. You can put an mSATA adapter in one of the bays to get 2 or 3 mSATA SSD's instead of a single HDD/SSD.

The only problem I see with using it for work is that then I will have to let the IT guy touch it. I am quite experienced myself with IT and could easily setup the few necessary things, but I know the guy and he is a but controlling. Then I would probably be forking over control of it also. They would want the ability to control updates and what not. Because our software breaks if the wrong SQL updates get installed. I no longer work pure IT and work as an Integration Engineer and Technical Trainer.

I am thinking the GS70 is a good option because of weight. Maybe the GS60 if I could convince myself to use a smaller screen. But my work laptop is 15 maybe 14 and I want more screen. I am used to working in a situation with two to three monitors.

Would it be better to go for the 970m with 6Gb?

I am thinking the more the merrier. Since the new consoles have 8Gb.

I have a pretty good grasp on this just looking for other opinions.

Back
Top Bottom