Needing drivers for generic (?) unknown laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those all do the same thing. The installer just stops and displays an error message "-536870397" and then says "fail to install audio driver for windows xp. setup will exit."

Maybe this isn't really the SiS7012 chipset? I'm only assuming because that's what the Unknown Device Identifier program reported it as.

Not sure. I'll keep working on it.

lol man none of these are doing anything for me. I'm gonna have to take a break from all of this but I'll pick it up again in the morning.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Alright I'm just getting started again this morning, so I haven't come across anything new. Care to throw any more ideas my way?

GOOD NEWS!

It's finally working. Now here's the sad part: I ran Windows Update and it correctly identified the hardware and installed the driver and it's a VIA!
It installed the "Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver" and all is well.

After a good full day of fighting it, that windows startup sound was truly "music to my ears".

Thanks to you who helped even though we were chasing the wrong chipset all along.

I'm glad to see you fixed your driver woes for your laptop. I have the Identical Laptop I purchased from a local computer shop new a few years ago. I cannot locate or figure out who the actual manufacturer is, I have run CPUZ as well as disassembled and upgraded the CPU in mine (It had a 2.66 GHz Pentium 4 Celeron, I had a regular Pentium 4 2.8 GHz CPU in a old desktop). The System is identified as MTC and it just so happens not only do I have the original driver CD that came with they system but I also have the owners manual. I would be happy to zip it all up and email it to you if you would like it for future crashes or to upgrade your system. :D

The motherboard supports the following CPU's (Socket 478)

Intel DT NW Pentium 4 2.4/2.5/2.53/2.6/2.66/2.8/3.06/3.2 GHz with Hyper Threading, FSB (Front Side Bus) 800/533 MHz
Intel DT NW Celeron 2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5/2.6/2.7/2.8 GHz, FSB 400 MHz
Intel DT Prescott Celeron 2.4/2.53/2.66/2.8/3.06/3.2 GHz, FSB 533 MHz
Intel Northwood Mobile Pentium 4 2.4/2.66/2.8/3.06 GHz, FSB 533 MHz

Thermal ceiling 81.8 W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom