Need XP Laptop with DB9(Serial Port) for around $500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boma

In Runtime
Hard to find. Any links? thanks! Need Dual Cores and at least 2GB for work pc.

a quick chat with Dell support lead to the Dell Latitude E5500 Fyi.

*solved*!!!

Just a quick one: why not use a USB to DB9 adapter and thus have a wider choice with the laptop itself? :/

Just a quick one: why not use a USB to DB9 adapter and thus have a wider choice with the laptop itself? :/

Depends on what you are connecting the serial port too and how the software works.
I have countless problems with getting MYOB Retail Manager / Retail Basic and USB to Serial Adaptors.
I got a client of mind that has commented how these adpators get in the way when he's programing alarm systems.

With out getting to technical about it, most software seems to be happy with working on Coms 1,2,3,4. However when USB Serial Port Adaptors have this habit some time picking random com port numbers out of the air. Especially when sone one disconnects and reconnects the USB to Serial port while the computer it still on. Main reason is that Windows things that there is a new com port being added.

Yes Keyboard Cowboy is correct. I had a big annoyance with an automotive onboard diagnostic display program using a usb-serial adapter. It tried to grab ports 10 and higher.

Tech support told me to use low number com ports (1,2,3,4) and it worked.

We're using this laptop with serial to program PLC touchscreen displays for work. So even though this wasn't the biggest bang for the buck laptop, it had what we needed (Serial Port, XP preinstalled) for around $650. A reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom