prussia87

Beta member
Any help would be appreciated with this situation:

Very recently my laptop (Dell Latitude D610) crashed, and initially
I suspected some kind of virus due to my lack of having decent
anti-virus software. As I tried to rectify the situation, it only
got worse. Soon thereafter, the computer crashed constantly, to the point
where I could not even log on. I ran chkdsk several times, and eventually
it got to the point where it said the volume had unrecoverable problems.
I'm ready to face the music and reformat. My 2 questions are:

1. Will reformatting solve the problem?
2. Can I save my hard drive?

Thanks for any help.

If its a virus chances are reformatting will do the trick.. Your best bet is to reformat , set up everything then run another chkdsk and see how it goes,
Good Luck

ok, formatting appears to be your only option, you will loose all of your data if you do though,

__Do you have any important files on their??? if so, I can help you get them off without allowing any viruses onto the flash drive you use. (You Don't Need To Start Up Your Computer On It's Hard drive!!) (this helps if it's a hard drive problem lol.
__"Step Number First: Go to KNOPPIX Linux Live CD and download the img file for knoppix... don't do it on your laptop... please...
__Then burn the Image onto a data disc and then pop it into your laptop!
turn on your laptop and press "f10" repeatedly till the blue screen with all the all the selections pops up. change the boot up order so that it boots FIRST off of the CD DRIVE(""!!!!"") (the one the knoppix cd is in would be nice. then when the computer starts on Knoppix (it's running completely on the CD (No hard drive). Then pop in a Flash Drive(/Jump Drive) and take off all files from the harddrive on your computer that you NEED and you should be fine. take out the flash drive and turn off the computer... NORMALLY in the start section.
__ Then get your recovery disc... if you have one, and restore your computer to "Fresh From The Bakery NEW!"
__ Step Number Last: Mission Accomplished..." ;)!

Hey thanks for the replies!

Alas I had to reformat, though I managed to save the important things.
However, it still crashes (not as often). The windows automatic updates
won't install and my new anti-virus software cannot be installed either.
I ran chkdsk and it said it did in fact correct an error. Then when logging on, it
said Windows was checking the hard drive's consistency. So, this time I did not get a 'volume is dirty' message. Any way around this dilemma? If you need
more specific info, let me know.

id invest in a new laptop HD if you know someone who can install it for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom