Need help, pls read

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDRoX

In Runtime
My buddy just brought over his laptop. It is a toshiba.
When you turn it on a bios screen comes up and wants a password.
We don't know it, so nothing else works.
I even just tried putting in a new Vista Ultimate disc to reload everything, but it won't read the disc.
Just asks for a password.
Thanks

There is nothing we can do for you. This is a known glitch in the Toshibas and the only way to get it fixed is by them. Even resetting the CMOS, from what i know, wont fix it. It will jsut assign another password that you wont know and still have this issue.

You have to get a Toshiba rep to fix it. Call them up and tell them the issue. They will know.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/toshiba-bios-password-glitch-177689/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/bios-password-toshiba-sp6000-146225/

As you can see this is not uncommon. But i thought that they had released a updated BIOS to bypass this issue....

You can try taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in (that clears the CMOS). If you have the updated BIOS (assuming there is one) then that should fix it, otherwise it could be the password glitch.

I know for certain BIOS'es there are "recovery discs" that you can find that will recover a bad BIOS, perhaps you can find one of these for your system.

Thanks, he took it to a toshiba rep today. They said they'll need it for a week:eek: I can't believe there's nothing that can be done:confused:
Thanks though

Other than resetting the CMOS which might have worked, it was a flaw with something in their BIOS that would just randomly set a password.

Other than resetting the CMOS which might have worked, it was a flaw with something in their BIOS that would just randomly set a password.

Removing the pin or whatever (if my knowledge of PCs and laptops are correct), it'll constantly reset the CMOS on bootup so you won't need the password.

Removing the pin or whatever (if my knowledge of PCs and laptops are correct), it'll constantly reset the CMOS on bootup so you won't need the password.

Yes but as i said in my first post in this thread, there is a issue with the Toshibas setting a new password almost instantly and not allowing you access even after resetting the CMOS.

I know this cause i tried the reset CMOS trick on the Aunt's Toshiba laptop. That is exactly what it did. The only solution was to take it to Toshiba.

Hence why i recommended it. I do know a few things here and there. ;)

If it is a newer laptop, it could be like my laptop, the passwords are all stored in a NVRAM (if i remember right) chip that can't be reset by a jumper or cleared by removing the battery, easiest way, send it in and have them fix it, had to replace my motherboard because of that stupid chip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom