Need help finding a laptop. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Need help finding a laptop.

First of all, Iím chronically ill. Understanding things is hard for me and I know very little about laptops and computers, so Iíll need to be walked through a lot of things.

I currently have a Dell N5010 (with Windows 7), Iíve had it for about 2 years or more and itís failing. (Needs a new battery, lags horribly while playing minecraft (6fps is average), and overheats very fast. (I currently have a Belkin fan to help.)) Iíve read itís not worth upgrading/replacing parts. Your opinion on that?

Due to my chronic illness I am lying in bed all day or on a good day, sitting at my desk. That is why I need the versatility of a laptop. I am also on it most of my waking hours, so I need something that can handle that much usage.

I am currently only using it to browse the web (I use chrome), watch videos/films (provided by the internet), and play minecraft. I do want the laptop to be able to handle more graphic intensive games in case I ever want to get one, but Iím not a hardcore gamer.

As for my price range: I currently have 2k (USD) to my name, but Iíd much rather not use it all if possible. I was saving it for something else, but a laptop is much more important to me.

If there are any other questions Iíll do my best to answer.
If building a laptop would be better, Iíll need a lot of help with what specs/parts would be best.

FrostyNoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Need help finding a laptop.

Extremely Capable Laptop:
Newegg.com - MSI GT Series GT70 0ND-202US Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 1600 750GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M

Capable Laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834246628

Budget Laptop:
Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Y480 (20934EU) Notebook Intel Core i5 3210M(2.50GHz) 14" 6GB Memory DDR3 1600 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVDĪR/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE

The best balance between performance and price is that Lenovo IMO.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Is the MSI so much better than the Ienovo Y580 that it is worth the price difference or is there little difference between the two?
FrostyNoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Faster HDD, faster GPU, and double the RAM. For Minecraft it isn't worth almost double the price because you can give it a better HDD/SSD and more RAM later.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote