Need help choosing a laptop for college - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Old 08-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Need help choosing a laptop for college

Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
What do you mean by "would the Lenovo work with an A8 or A10"? It has an Intel CPU (i5-4200m), not an AMD CPU.

Try being at a college/university with a decent number of students. When everybody is accessing the network, the network speed slows to a crawl a lot of the time. Plus, colleges usually have authentication for their network...and what if the authentication method is having issues (has happened several times at the college I went to where I worked as a student IT tech).

And what if your home internet is having issues? Depending on what ISP you have, they could be quite slow not to mention possibly have a datacap. Or worse - what if you live on campus in a dorm and the dorm internet was slowed to a snails pace when everybody is accessing it (like I mentioned above)?

IMO I just wouldn't trust it, especially after seeing how networks are run in a college environment. Get something that you can work offline on if necessary.

Yes you can install different linux distros on a Chromebook...but I've seen those be a hassle to setup as well.
I just started high school; thus, just got my chromebook couple months ago, and I think it will do everything for me during high school, Ima start collecting for Macbook Pro though for college, because thats when indeed you need something bigger!
Good Luck courier and I see people helped ya here! Cheers!

Amportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Need help choosing a laptop for college

Have a look at this notebook:

HP 255 Entry level notebook - Windows 8.1 Home Edition : Notebooks : Horizon Telecom IT & Telephony in Gloucestershire

I think it will cover all your needs and still be well under budget!

JoeEyesDown is offline   Reply With Quote