Need Help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellman1986

Beta member
I am working on a Dell Vostro 1500. I am installing windows 98 and I am having an issue that maybe someone might be able to help me with.

I keep getting a message that says:

Insufficient memory to initialize windows.

Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your config.sys and autoexec.bat files, and restart your computer.

I have another computer doing the same thing.

I have not ever got this message before and I am not sure what to do. Is there something wrong inside the computer or is there something that I am doing wrong.

Thanks
-Dustin

Why in the world are you trying to put win98 on a new laptop as such?

for starters they have sata drives of 160gb which will not work and you will find no win98 drivers for it.

Install xp or vista. what os came with the computer?

Windows xp home edition. But for some reason the disk is not bootable. So that is why I was trying to load 98 on it and then add xp. I am new to this computer stuff. Dell will not help me with a replacement disk do to the fact of the computer being out of warrenty.

Give this method a shot as installing win98 is not a viable option for you.

Technical Support for Vostro Notebook 1500
Instructions for Windows XP

Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center
Notice:
Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

1 Turn on the computer.

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.
NOTE: Some systems like Inspiron Mini 9 (910) do not support System Restore as they do not have <F11> nor any substitute.

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

The steps listed below will not work in my situation. My hard drive has been wiped out. Is there anything else I can do?

get a copy of win xp home from a friend and use your key.

download and run win7 for free.

purchase a copy of vista.

Are your sure your restore partition was "wiped out" as well as your main partition? Did you try the steps I provided?

Yes they were very helpful with another computer I had. But with the lab top in question it did not work. I am going to get a copy of windows xp home edition from a friend and use my key posted on the back of the lab top. Everything should be good after that. Then I am going to make a restore point just incase something else like this happens again. Thanks for all the information. This web site has been very helpful. Since I recived help here I will also try and help other on issues that I have the knowledge on.

Thanks for all your help.

-Dustin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom