Need to get a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamMasterClay

Solid State Member
The Motherboard on my laptop has fried 3 times since I bought it just over a year ago. I haven't done any hardware upgrades or anything and no overclocking. Anyways, I now need to get a new computer. I have a relatively low budget, I'm still in highschool and am saving for college. I need something with high preformance because my current laptop was never good enough, and I need it to be portable. I am looking into tablet pc's. My only problem with tablet PCs are the smaller screen size - my 15.4" is perfect for me- and I think they sacrifice performance.

I have been looking into the HP Pavillion tx1000 for customization. I would get it with the following specs - hopefully

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-66 (2.3 GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache )
2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150
250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

how much of an upgrade would that be in preformance to my current laptop?

Acer Aspire 5102WMLi
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
AMD Turion 64 x2 TL50 (1.6 GHz, 512KB L2 cache)
ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
120GB 4200rpm PATA HDD
1GB DDR2 (support dual-channel)

I would like to continue running 64bit Vista ultimate, but 32 is fine aswell.

Thanks!

Check out this Vostro:
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

The base model is $549, but you can choose the free upgrade to 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife.

My System Details
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Dell Exclusive MediaDirectâ„¢ Instant Play Software Application
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
No Webcam Option

Upgrade to a 8600M GT for $199. Maybe bump up the CPU (or not).

nice find Trotter.. $410 off.. and thats a heckuva of a price and a great configuation..

That doesn't look bad, I'll take a closer look when I get home from work.

I'm really heasitant to buy a Dell though, for some reason I just absolutely hate them. I like HP a lot better for some reason. And I know there is a reason why I hate dell, I just can't think of it right now lol. :D

Don't worry about that.. the only products Dell make that are good are Monitors and Laptops.. and thats because they don't make them.. its made by a third-party..

i've heard dell has the highest percentage of computers sent in for repairs and such.

how would that hp compare to my current laptop?

(i'm still considering that dell)

while that statistic is true.. its for their desktops.. and every person here would build it anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom