Need advice on a high end laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillenacht

Beta member
Right, i am currently torn between 2 laptops, price is not an issue unless it diverges by more than 400 dollars

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230142
the asus g74

Newegg.com - MSI G Series GT780DX-406US Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 750GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M
and the MSI G-series
(is it the computer featured here? MSI 780R & ASUS G74SX-A1 Shootout - YouTube, if not, where can i find it ><)

i can upgrade either to 16 gb with salvaged RAM cards

now, i am unsure of the exact performance of each. so now questions:
1. Is a 3gb GTX 560 better or a 1.5 gb GTX 570? if the video is anything to go by, the differences in performance are insignificant, but i am unsure if the model in said video are different
2. How would i add an SSD. I am ordering this: Enthusiasts | Solid State Drives | SSDNow Hyper X | Kingston. Can i just migrate the data (software included in the order) and slot it in? will the computer work fine with an SSD and a HDD? or do they have to be seperate? (hopefully i can utilize a HDD for storage and the SSD for running startup/programs, unsure if this is possible)
3. Does anyone know how loud the MSI G is? because i know the ASUS computer is literally whisper quiet.
4. Is there anything wrong with either of the items? (specs i could have missed that decrease performance)
5. what are your personal opinions on which is better? (currently i'm favoring MSI simply because of the fancy keyboard xD)
6. are there any issues with either model that are common and i should be aware of?

I'd go with the Asus G74. I have one and it's a beast! Awesome build quality, too. I added an SSD to mine and it was very easy, as the G74 has an extra bay in it. :thumbsup: For the GPU situation, the 3gb 560 would be better if you're using external monitors and using a higher resolution, or if you use a lot of texture mods and such in your games. If you don't do that, then the 570 would suit your needs more. I don't think you'll need 16gb RAM, I have 12 in my G74 and it's way more than I ever use. The G74 is cool to the touch and really quiet, even when gaming. It has an all around better cooling design. And if you like the keyboard on the MSI, chances are you'll like the G74 keyboard as well. It's very sturdy and has a great feel to it. I don't want to sound biased, but the Asus is a great laptop. I use my for everything, and it has yet to let me down. :big_grin:

no external monitors, and i run almost all games on basic (well, extreme, but no mods heh), thanks for the advice

honestly the 16gb is just because i can, might as well seeing as i already have the memory cards

what i mean by the fancy keyboard, the MSI can change colors and even have waves of color going across the keyboard, purely aesthetic, but i thought it was really cool ^^
i don't suppose i could somehow install a steel series keyboard onto the ASUS?

and yeah, logically, Asus is a better laptop i think, but i might go for MSI just for the fancy lights, unsure though, i still don't know how loud it is (as long as it's not audible when i'm playing i think itll be ok...)
the msi also has a gpu that heats to 90C when running (keyboard is still cool, about the same as asus according to video), does this negatively affect anything? does it break faster?

The 570 may better suit your needs when it comes to gaming, in that case. For the memory, just make sure it's the right type :wink: As for the keyboard, I know the lights are fancy, but out of all the laptop keyboards I've used (including a few MSI's), the Asus has been my favorite. I'm pretty sure one of the G74 models has a Steel Series keyboard on it, the G74SX-DH73-3D model, but again, I'm not sure. Cooling wise, the G74 has, IMO, the best cooling design of any laptop on the market. Mine is never loud or hot. The keyboard barely gets warm at all. Another thing is the keyboard on the G74 is inclined, so it's much more comfortable to type on than a regular laptop keyboard. So I guess your choice is: A few more FPS with the MSI and its 570 and some pretty colors, or a more comfortable keyboard that's cool to the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom