Need advice on buying a new notebook - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Need advice on buying a new notebook

Ok, so I am looking to buy a new notebook and was wondering if someone could help me and give me some opinions. There are a few factors involved, I am in grad school right now and use my computer 24/7 literally the entire day from the morning till I go to sleep, and my current notebook basically just crashed on me. My main functions are only the internet, office, word, excel and power point, as well as my iTunes for my ipod and downloading songs as well as uploading pictures. I am also looking for something very lightweight as I am always carrying around my notebook and just want something that isn't going to strain me. The two laptops that I have narrowed my search down to are the Sony vaio Y series, which has the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo SU7300 (1.30GHz) and is 4.4 lbs or the dell studio 14 which has the new Intel core i5-520m 2.40 (2.93 turbo mode) core processor and is 5.7 lbs. Even though I know my uses aren't very demanding, only using office and such, I still want to have a notebook that is going to be fast and be able to open programs quickly, I also use multiple windows at time, and don't wont that to slow down the performance either. Both laptops have 4gb of ram, while the Sony has a 320gb 5400 rpm hard drive and the dell has a 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive. The dell laptop wont ship until the 28th of this month, while I can just go to the Sony store and buy that laptop tomorrow. So the question is, with my demands for a laptop, should I just go buy the Sony now, which is 300 bucks less and lighter weight, or order the better dell and just try and make do for the time being. One of my main concerns though about the Sony is that the processor is not going to last as long or that its going to be slower then the computer I already own, which my computer now is a 1.8ghz I believe but can't look because it wont turn on. Thanks a bunch for your help.
Closed Thread