My Safe (Protector Suite) won't work anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade 20x6

Beta member
Hi all! I have a Toshiba Tecra notebook running Windows XP. Prepackaged with the notebook is the Protector Suite software which handles the enrollments and other information for my fingerprint reader, which opens the My Safe folder.

I had been having some problems sporadically lately with my fingerprint reader having trouble reading my fingerprint scan. This wasn't a huge deal to me, as I could always access my backup password to open the folder.

A few days ago, I double-clicked on my My Safe folder...and nothing happened. When I attempted to open it again, it said "My Safe is busy. Please try again later." I right-clicked on the folder, and the "Unlock my safe" option was no longer listed, leading me to believe that the application was open, but unviewable for some odd reason. The option to enter my backup password no longer appears either.

I reinstalled the Protector Suite software, but when I attempt to enroll my fingerprints, I get an error message. When I double-click on My Safe, nothing happens. I don't even get the "My Safe is busy" message anymore, and there is no longer an option to lock or unlock My Safe when I right-click on the folder. It would appear that, somehow, my fingerprint reader has become detached or something, and the software can no longer read it.

I tried restoring my notebook to my previous saved state, but nothing changed.

If I try to open the folder in safe mode, I still get nothing.

I have some pretty important documents in My Safe that I need access to, so reinstalling Windows is kind of a last resort.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I'd call tech support, bypass the idiot support if they can't help you and don't take no for an answer. Then complain very very loudly. In my humble yet accurate opinion I would call this a manufacturer defect unless you use this laptop as a skateboard....

Personally I'd call tech support, bypass the idiot support if they can't help you and don't take no for an answer. Then complain very very loudly. In my humble yet accurate opinion I would call this a manufacturer defect unless you use this laptop as a skateboard....

Believe me, I did, but dealing with Toshiba customer serviceis like trying to pull teeth with razor wire. I already had to report them to the BBB TWICE to get them to replace my first defective laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom