My First Post -- What Laptop/Netbook Should I Get? Why? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default My First Post -- What Laptop/Netbook Should I Get? Why?

My college laptop after 5 years of usage is burping "death." I have already rebooted it once and now it's just time to get a new one. I have a Gateway desktop PC at home that is about 8 years old; I put some good money into bringing it back to life and it is running fine: I specifically use it for my Adobe software, internet, and massive music files.

I need a laptop/netbook, whatever, that will be specifically used for writing screenplays (program I use is Movie Magic Screenwriter). I need something portable and with a strong battery life so I can haul it around with me wherever I go; fairly light and small too. I don't need my music on it. I don't need internet at all on it, or any excess programs.

I don't know a lot about computers. So if you can all help me list or choose or what to look for when purchasing a laptop or netbook then that would be great.

I want a Mac because I am scared of viruses! BUT, my wallet is low ($100 to $600 is affordable). And I only need this computer to support my screen writing software; I don't care about anything else. So a laptop PC is okay, right?

Thank you all. I appreciate every word of advice and suggestions you can give me, and feel free to ask me questions to help your judgement.

*edit*
I just wanted to add, the software that i am looking to install has these minimum requirements:

Windows

Vista compatible

Pentium 300Mhz or greater (Pentium 1Ghz recommended)
Windows 2000, XP and Vista
60 MB of Hard Disk Space
CD-ROM drive (network installation not supported)
iPartner requires Internet connection, optional microphone
and speakers for voice chat
Video Card w/8MB or greater recommended for Full Page View

Hope this kind of helps.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: My First Post -- What Laptop/Netbook Should I Get? Why?

Welcome to Tech-Forums, alexg1!!

This netbook will do just fine your purpose:
Newegg.com - ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005HA-PU1X-BK Crystal Black Intel Atom N280(1.66GHz) 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks

It is very small and lightweight, and has a really long battery life. Though it does not have a CD drive.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

b1gapl -- Although there is no CD drive, it has USB ports right? So I can attach an external CD-drive and upload the software?

And thanks for the answer and warm welcome.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg1
Although there is no CD drive, it has USB ports right? So I can attach an external CD-drive and upload the software?
yep, exactly. It has 3 USB ports.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks again. Reading about it now.

Still totally open to suggestions, people.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, With the limited budget at hand, I would definitely get a netbook since it is the most practical among the bunch. If you would like a regular notebook/laptop try checking this: Lenovo 3000 G530 4446

It runs around $500 dollar range and would definitely support the software that you would need and anything else that comes by.

Closed Thread