MSI GT683 - Good or bad buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devinwesolowski

Baseband Member
I've been wanting to buy a new gaming laptop for quite some time now, and my birthday is coming up in a month so i figure now is the time to do some investigating.

This laptop has not gotten really a single bad review except for its semi cramped scrolling pad (which you dont use if your a gamer to begin with) and its weight of 7.7 pounds.

It's a 15.6" laptop and you can look more into it here MSI Global ? Notebook - GT683

Every review ive seen or read was literally 4.5/5 stars are 90%/100% which is outstanding!

I'm pretty much looking for feedback to see what YOU all think of this laptop for its price, Also looking on their site i dont believe i can directly buy it from them.. which confused me a little.

Does anyone know of a site i could buy this for a good price? (amazon is around $1300 which is good)

Also do any sites have payment plans, like bills every month till its payed off, im sure my parents would rather that then to pay 1300 flat out right now.

Thanks all ahead of time for any feedback

EDIT: Any good sites to SELL old laptops too? Going to need to get rid of what i have now. http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r/pd Pretty poor for gaming.

Craigslist is a good website to sell items. However, expect a lage variety of differen people to call you.
That laptop would be decent for gaming, I would expect medium to medium high setings in most games, depending on the resoluion.
Amazon reviews should usually be taken with a grain of salt. Professional reviews usually cover much more, and actually know what they are talking about. However, some are biased.

Here are two good resources to use:
MSI GT683R-242US - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews
[M] MSI GT683 R Gaming Laptop Review
You can find more via a search engine.

I think that that laptop is pretty good, and comes at a fair price.
However, I am slightly biased as I pefer the large performance gains that you get with a desktop. To me, a laptop is for word processing programs and other medium to low demanging programs, and a desktop is for higher end applications, such as gaming.

Are you within the US? I have a Bill Me Later account in Newegg. Orders above $500 have a 12 months, no interest unless you pay it off in 12 months. There is a percentage you do have to pay every month, though. I think it's around $30. I normally can pay off a $1,000 order within 6 months.

I do not trust MSI. Their stuff is really low-grade for gaming.

What games are you looking to play? I can recommend you an Acer. The last one I bought, the Acer AS5750-6589, never got hot, a good thing, even during a stress test. That has an i3, not the best for gaming, but I think you will get ample performance out of an i5, that it doesn't heat up alot.

I like Asus for gaming laptops. My G73JH is pretty decent. HD5870, i7-740, 6gigs of RAM, 17.3" screen. The huge screen is probably the only bad thing, because I had to buy an entirely new backpack for it, to haul it around for classes.

Yeah ive used craigslist before, i dont know how i forgot about it momentarily.

Ghost - With the laptop i have i cant play my games smoothly at even the lowest settings, so not only can i not enjoy the games to their full beauty but i cant even play it at a poor quality. On G4, although probably not even close to being professional, their review showed them playing the witcher 2 or something on high quality with no fps drop and smooth gameplay. I am looking for a laptop because my in real life situation consists of moving between two homes both on the weekdays and weekends.

Mindover - Yes im within the U.S, within massachusetts. Would i be able to get a bill me later account with newegg? And yeah ive never even heard of MSI which scared me a little bit. And i play World of Warcraft and League of Legends. WoW is very heavily taxing on a laptop which very high graphic high pressure situations i would imagine judging by what i do. I have a laptop cooling tray too, i bought it with your reccomendation last time i was here and i really enjoy it. I'm looking for atleast a 15.6" screen, to me the bigger the better with gaming. How big of a differance is an i5 and i7? I really dont want to buy a laptop and then not have it be able to do what i need. Currently i have an i3 thought, really really bad.

EDIT: my biggest problem is im pretty sure i can almost handle low quality but my graphics or video card cannot handle my games. My fps is literally like on WoW: 18 18 16 13 11 8 7 9 12 15 18 It jumps like that a real lot making gameplay so unsmooth.

Leage of Legends (LoL) :p

Anyway, you can get a bill me later account within minutes. Just have to answer a few questions. Read their TOS in Newegg. Newegg.com - Bill Me Later

In gaming, the difference between i5 and i7 are very little. The only difference in i7, is the hyperthreading. Doesn't help your games, if any.

Well i will definately look into that in a little bit, thats going to help me alot. But do you have any laptops that you think would fit what im looking for? the one you previously mentioned had an i3 so that wont do, and my.. idk how to say it but i dont feel confident after learning my MSI choice was actually a poor one

Ohhhh thats so small though :L Alright i wont bother you with little things i can do myself, only last question is do u have a site or place i should look for laptops, aka trustworthy reviews, laptops, professionals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom