Is the MSI GE72 good for recording gameplay at 1080p 60 fps?

Boom123

Baseband Member
Hello,
I am looking into buying a new laptop to use for recording while playing bullet hell shooters (shmups) like Touhou, Mushihimesama, Dodonpachi etc. I wish to record at 1080p 60 fps, and was wondering if the MSI GE72 is good enough? I was also planning to record to an external USB 3.0 HDD since I've read its better to not record to the same drive as the one playing the game. I have never recorded my gameplay before, so I'm new to all this.

These are the specs of the MSI I'm thinking of getting:

CPU: 6th Generation "Skylake" Intel® CoreTM i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor, 2.6-3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB 2133MHz DDR4,
Hard Drive: 128GB SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD

GPU is a choice from the 2 below:
GPU: nVIDIA® GeForceTM GTX 960M 128bit w/ 2GB GDDR5
GPU: nVIDIA® GeForceTM GTX 970M 192bit w/ 3GB GDDR5

Would I really need the GTX 970 instead of the GTX 960? Will that extra 1GB of VRam make a difference? Will the 128bit as opposed to the 192bit cause poorer performance? Do I really need such a powerful GPU for a shmup?

Also wondering if it would be worth getting a 256GB SSD instead of the 128GB SSD? I only plan on using the SSD as my boot, all other stuff like the games themselves, music and videos will go into the 1TB HDD. They're shmups, so they load quite fast anyway, that's why I figured I'd leave them in the HDD. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there will be some advantage to having them on the SSD instead.

I'm going for the 17'' model mostly due to cooling (I don't know if it will make a difference, but I figure since the laptop is less compact hopefully that will help keep it a bit cooler?). I'm also getting a cooling pad to help. The laptop is going to be connected to my HD TV practically all the time.

One more thing. I was reading about something called rendering the video, I have no idea what this is. Can someone explain? Will this happen while I'm recording, or as soon as I'm done? How long does it take?

Sorry for all the questions but my head's all over the place. I've never done this before and don't want to dish out around 1400 euros and not have satisfactory results. 1080p 60 fps, with no lag of course is what I'm aiming for.

Thank you for any help in advance! :D Looking forward to hearing some answers from the experts ;)

Hello,
I am looking into buying a new laptop to use for recording while playing bullet hell shooters (shmups) like Touhou, Mushihimesama, Dodonpachi etc. I wish to record at 1080p 60 fps, and was wondering if the MSI GE72 is good enough? I was also planning to record to an external USB 3.0 HDD since I've read its better to not record to the same drive as the one playing the game. I have never recorded my gameplay before, so I'm new to all this.

These are the specs of the MSI I'm thinking of getting:

CPU: 6th Generation "Skylake" Intel® CoreTM i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor, 2.6-3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB 2133MHz DDR4,
Hard Drive: 128GB SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD

GPU is a choice from the 2 below:
GPU: nVIDIA® GeForceTM GTX 960M 128bit w/ 2GB GDDR5
GPU: nVIDIA® GeForceTM GTX 970M 192bit w/ 3GB GDDR5

Would I really need the GTX 970 instead of the GTX 960? Will that extra 1GB of VRam make a difference? Will the 128bit as opposed to the 192bit cause poorer performance? Do I really need such a powerful GPU for a shmup?

Also wondering if it would be worth getting a 256GB SSD instead of the 128GB SSD? I only plan on using the SSD as my boot, all other stuff like the games themselves, music and videos will go into the 1TB HDD. They're shmups, so they load quite fast anyway, that's why I figured I'd leave them in the HDD. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there will be some advantage to having them on the SSD instead.

I'm going for the 17'' model mostly due to cooling (I don't know if it will make a difference, but I figure since the laptop is less compact hopefully that will help keep it a bit cooler?). I'm also getting a cooling pad to help. The laptop is going to be connected to my HD TV practically all the time.

One more thing. I was reading about something called rendering the video, I have no idea what this is. Can someone explain? Will this happen while I'm recording, or as soon as I'm done? How long does it take?

Sorry for all the questions but my head's all over the place. I've never done this before and don't want to dish out around 1400 euros and not have satisfactory results. 1080p 60 fps, with no lag of course is what I'm aiming for.

Thank you for any help in advance! :D Looking forward to hearing some answers from the experts ;)
I don't see why the laptop wouldn't be able to do this at the requested criteria. I guess my only question is why get a laptop for it to just sit on a TV?

Agree with PP, laptops are lower performance for a higher cost, even the GPU isn't as good as the deskto version, The 970m won't be able to as much as a 970 desktop card either.

First of all, thank you both for your replies. After talking to some other techies, most told me the same thing, that it would be more worth it investing into a desktop instead.

Originally I wanted a laptop because although it won't be moving around much and very rarely, there are those rare times that I would have a family vacation, and it would be awesome to be able to carry my gaming laptop and continue on with recording my gaming at the same time. But after so many people stating that its more powerful as a desktop, I figured I'm gonna go for that option.

So question that comes up now is, any suggestions for a which desktop to go for? I was looking at Vibox, are they any good? I guess I'd want something water cooled to oppose having noisier fans.

Thanks again for your help :D

Back
Top Bottom