mSATA SSD vs SATA SSD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Jayce

My CR-48 that I have came with an mSATA SSD. It looks strikingly similar to a mini PCIE wireless card. I had some issues with it working and bought a new mSATA SSD, and now my problem seems to have gone away. The only catch is I'd like to hook up the older mSATA SSD through some sort of USB bridge and do further testing with it, because now that everything is done and I have the new drive, I almost wonder if the action of re-seating the drive when I replaced it fixed it, or if the drive itself is truly bad.

I'm staying with this new drive regardless, due to its much faster speed and 2x capacity (32gb instead of 16gb), so I don't want to take the laptop apart constantly just for trial runs. But I would like to hook it up through an adapter to do some testing on it.

While visually comparing the connection on the mSATA drive to a regular 3.5" SATA drive, I can see the pin interfaces appear to be different. Is there anything I can do or is mSATA still too new? (or something like that?)

There's no place like /home.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: mSATA SSD vs SATA SSD

Can try something like this: - StarTech Micro SATA to SATA Adapter Cable with Power Model MCSATAADAP

If you already have like a normal SATA adapter.
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Closed Thread