Move Laptop HDD into same model laptop and boot?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeyo

Beta member
ok, i bought a dell latitude e6400, upgraded the hard drive. I have tons of programs etc and i don't want to wipe it to move it to my new dell latitude e6400. i tried installing and booting but it gives me a boot error and wont boot as is. Here are the only differences to my knowledge:

Old Dell---------------New Dell
2.4 ghz----------------2.8 ghz
3gb ram---------------4gb ram
windows7 ultimate ------windows 7 home
Bios revision 20---------Bios revision 24

move HDD to -------> and boot??????

Please please help!!! It would take weeks to find all my program cds, etc and to do a full wipe and reinstall everything. I really want to make this work.

It should work. I was able to do that on my system. My ASUS board was faulty, so I RMAd it. I got a Gigabyte board to replace it. I just transferred over the same installation, worked fine. AFAIK, if you have the same chipset, it should work.

what, specifically, is the 'boot error' you are getting.

if you are moving the install from the old to the new, shouldn't the operating systems be the same?

when you say you upgraded your hard drive, how did you get the install from the old hard drive to the new hard drive?

thanks for the feedback....

--> the error is that it wouldn't boot. said system repairs need to be made, then asked if i want to reformat. (after "repairs" it still wouldn't; said give microsoft feedback only)

--> i thought the OS (windows7 ultimate) was actually on the hard drive itself???

--> the best buy guy told me to reinstall the HD on the original machine and upgrade the BIOS to revision 24, then said retry the hard drive on the new machine (w/ rev 24) and see if it boots.

thanks for the encouragement that i shouldn't be far off...any other tips to try???

what, specifically, is the 'boot error' you are getting.

if you are moving the install from the old to the new, shouldn't the operating systems be the same?

when you say you upgraded your hard drive, how did you get the install from the old hard drive to the new hard drive?

a) os the same? ...i don't know, do they???
b) i just manually put the hard drive from the original laptop into the new laptop. (when i previously upgraded, i installed a new OS on the hard drive after installation)

BIOS wouldn't matter, I would think... When I switched my HDD between two boards, they were totally two different BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom