memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdLeft152

Daemon Poster
I just got my lenovo r61 loaded with vista premium. however i did not order my laptop loaded as i couldn't justify upgrading my 1gb of ram to 2gb for $120 (or something like that) when i could purchase 2gb off of newegg for $78.

However my question is, does anyone know if 4gb in vista shows that much of an advantage over 2gb? my gut instinct is not really. however i want to be able to multi-task like i can on my desktop in xp. im not going to be doing any even slightly demanding gaming, warcraft 3 might be the most i put it through. i just want to be able to multi-task with ease. when i look at my monitor and at idle with nothing open i am at 59% memory usage with 1gb, its a little depressing.

yeah i know. i am getting a version of vista ultimate 64-bit through my university so i was just wondering what i could expect.

I'm not sure if that laptop can support 4gb even. Most currently max out at 2gb. And I doubt with what you're doing 4gb would give you much of a boost. Going to 2gb is pretty cheap and effective, though. Vista is a big memory hog and it has tons of processes running in the background eating up your memory.

im pretty sure my laptop can support 4gb. from what i've gathered pretty much all the laptops that have the new mobile c2d's (t71/73/75/77) can handle 4gb of memory. But yeah i think im leaning more torwards 2gb anyway. Because i'd have to go through a hassle to put a new version of vista on here, and im sure 2gb so work wonders.

...when i look at my monitor and at idle with nothing open i am at 59% memory usage with 1gb, its a little depressing...

High memory usage in Vista is normal, even at idle, due to Vista SuperFetch - which significantly enhances the performance of your PC by caching files intelligently to the RAM, unlike the Windows XP Prefetcher.

There's nothing to be depressed about :happy:.

Coding Horror: Why Does Vista Use All My Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom