Making a Laptop/netbook faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really aprreciate that, and I will be sure to do so. I actually do have a question. I picked up a few tips o google fro various websites saying a couple different things like
get rid of all spyware..
Use pc pitstop I guess its to diagnose something
registry mechanic
things like that do you think any of this is nesaccary?

Yeah, get rid of all spyware, definitely - see in my first post about Spybot Search & Destroy, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

I've never heard of PC Pitstop, though looking at the website it looks like it's worth a try. From the sound of it, the Driver Scanner certainly sounds worth using - one thing I forgot to mention is to install all the latest drivers, you can quite often get a bit more performance from more recent drivers - especially chipset and GPU. If you do try it, please report back if it's any good :)

Registry Mechanic, also never heard of it, but I imagine it's a registry cleaner like the one on CCleaner.

There is one other possibility, which is to update your BIOS; this isn't something the average user should do though.

I really need to piece together a 'How to speed up your system' guide. We get this sort of question fairly often :p

Googling "(your system's make + model) drivers" tends to work. Make sure to get them from the official site (for you that'd be HP, obviously)

Make sure to get the correct ones for your OS, and whether you need 32-bit or 64-bit (with a netbook, probably the former).

If you do install the latest BIOS version, make sure to be careful with it. Mess it up, and whole system is kaput (the parts are fine but you won't be abe to run them). So, make sure you're not running on battery (so it won't shut off mid-install), and follow any instructions it might give you.

^Most BIOS updaters put out there by manufacturers like HP run within Windows, and won't let you update the BIOS unless your computer is plugged into AC power.

You can download it whenever you like, however you must be on charge when you're installing the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom