Making an external hard drive your internal hard drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Making an external hard drive your internal hard drive

I have an HP dv6810us. its 7200 rpm and only has 160 gigabytes of space. I just bought a Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB external hard drive, at 7200 rpm; model: WDBAAF0020HBK-NESN. I have put ALL my movies, documents, music, pictures, and everything other than my programs and stuff that came with my computer. I only have 20 gigabytes left on my computer i was wondering how i could somehow turn my external hard drive into my internal hard drive....and how. any websites of videos that could lead me to the right place would be very helpful. i have used 140 gigs of space on my computer mostly due to the sims 3 and programs. please help!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Making an external hard drive your internal hard drive

Hang on, so if I understand you correctly you've got a 160Gb drive installed in your laptop and it's only got 20Gb free space left. So now you want to put the 2TB drive into the laptop? Sorry, but that won't work. You'll need to buy another 2.5" drive.Is the drive inside your laptop SATA or IDE?

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Yeah, you need an internal 2.5" drive to put in your laptop.

HP's site says it is a 160GB, 5400rpm. Doesnt say whether it's IDE or SATA.
__________________ Steam Account
Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via MSN to futurepocket

Unless somehow you have an external 2.5" hard drive, you'll need to purchase a new internal 2.5" hard drive. I don't think it's available in the 2 TB capacity.
Closed Thread