MacBook or PC Laptop? - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: MacBook or PC Laptop?

Great post! That Dell looks like a good deal with the added GPU, however I've heard Dells are of lower quality, is that true?

Thanks for all the comments folks, much appreciated! I've been looking at the Asus G51 as I've read around the forums a bit and apparently it's the best gaming laptop for the cost, can anyone comment on this, also would I be able to get one for under $1500 in Canada?

I've also read that MSI makes good gaming laptops, can someone suggest some MSI machines for similar price?

Thanks again everyone!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rulez View Post
Great post! That Dell looks like a good deal with the added GPU, however I've heard Dells are of lower quality, is that true?

Thanks for all the comments folks, much appreciated! I've been looking at the Asus G51 as I've read around the forums a bit and apparently it's the best gaming laptop for the cost, can anyone comment on this, also would I be able to get one for under $1500 in Canada?

I've also read that MSI makes good gaming laptops, can someone suggest some MSI machines for similar price?

Thanks again everyone!
Dells are solid laptops. Back when I was in public school we used Dell Latitudes in the mobile lab. Had D610s for all 4 years I was there, when i left they were still working fine, if slow. I only had to fix one or two that some kids had really abused. They should hold up fine for every day wear and tear.

Another cool thing I found out about the current ones is that if you spill a drink on them the keyboards absorb almost all of the liquid and protect the rest of the laptop. Instead of ruining the computer it's a $25 KB. I doubt it was intentional, but still cool.

As for the Asus, it has a very slow hard drive (5400rpm). In a world where i consider all hard drives slow that's pretty bad. Asus laptops tend to have more features in their price range it being an Asus after all, but aside from the card reader and the camera this one is pretty ordinary. It has a real video card, but if you think that makes it a gamer you are very mistaken. For a budget laptop I would look more for usability, reliability and battery life. The Dell wins there, big (for a laptop) hard drive, 9 cell battery and a screen size that wasn't invented to save money.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #33 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! I decided to go with an Asus. I picked up the K70IO. I got it for under $1000 CDN, which I think is a great deal. Well I've been using it for about an hour and so far so good, it seems like a very solid laptop with a nice big 17' display. I'm very happy I went with PC instead of Mac, as a matter of fact after doing my research this last week I've became rather anti-Mac but that's neither here nor there. Just wanted to thank everyone here for helping me out, I appreciate it!

Closed Thread