MacBook or PC Laptop? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: MacBook or PC Laptop?

I was really refering to if you break a 600 dollar pc, youre mad... but a 1600 dollar Mac makes you wantaq die cause youre out 1600 bucks.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Ah, I thought you were referring to like repair costs. But yeah, agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeVel View Post
Yes but usually PC laptop issues can be resolved yourself or over the phone while Mac issues may need sending in more often.

And just don't forget that with the PC laptops you are getting 1 or 2 year warranties included and the price for like a 3 year full coverage warranty isn't all that pricey, but with Mac its pretty much an essential to get the 3 year Apple Care plan and will cost you another $300+
Depends on the Mac issue... Many Mac issues are not much different than Window's or Linux issues.. Mac isn't a foreign OS that is unlike anything else in the world...
PC's come with 1 year standard warranties, as is the case with 99% of manufacturers and the extended warranties are generally pretty pricey. It's all relatively based on cost. Yes a $600 PC will have a cheaper extended warranty than a $2500 Mac, but that's to be expected.

Just as a small example, a $650 Toshiba has an extended warranty through newegg for $250 for 3 years. Extended warranties aren't cheap, but they aren't meant to be.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Very true. Just wanted to make sure he was taking that added cost (for both scenarios) into consideration

It's probably just my personal experience that lends me to think Mac issues require more outsourcing of the repairs

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

In most cases with most users it's definitely easier and less stressful to send it out to Apple rather than trying to fix it yourself... Taking apart the new MacBook's are a ***** and a half... I've been doing work with laptops for like 5 years and the new MacBook threw me for a loop a couple times... There are some weird *** connections and really tight ribbon cables that you have to pop out right.. Good thing the Mac I was working on was already dead!!!! Diet Coke claims another life...
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
In most cases with most users it's definitely easier and less stressful to send it out to Apple rather than trying to fix it yourself... Taking apart the new MacBook's are a ***** and a half... I've been doing work with laptops for like 5 years and the new MacBook threw me for a loop a couple times... There are some weird *** connections and really tight ribbon cables that you have to pop out right.. Good thing the Mac I was working on was already dead!!!! Diet Coke claims another life...
Lol! I hear ya! I was working on upgrading some older iMacs we have in our department and just to upgrade the RAM was a pain! Some of it wasn't even accessible unless done by "an apple certified technician" and since it still had a warranty I figured I better not mess with it myself until that warranty expires.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

new iMac's are even worse.. They have the magnetically attached glass screen's so the only way to get them off is the 'Mac Technician Kit' which is basically just 4 suction cups and handles. Needless to say when I got one of those in at my work we told them to take it to an Apple store.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the comments. I think a Mac is now out of the question as I don't want to spend that much extra for something I don't really need. To answer your question Peter, I will do some gaming so I would like it to be capable of running the latest games smoothly.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yha... definately a pc for sure.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Yha... definately a pc for sure.
Now that I've decided on a PC, could I get some recommendations or suggestions?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

$800 - $900 Laptops - CNET Reviews

How to Buy a Laptop - PC World

Dell Studio 1555 (USE006CS) - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine

ASUS UL30A-A1 - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine

or look here also

Asus K61IC-X3 Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, Blu-Ray/DVDRW, 16" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium, Black at TigerDirect.com

Newegg.com - SONY VAIO NW Series VGN-NW250F/S NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6600(2.20GHz) 15.5" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 - Laptops / Notebooks

I haven't personally tested any of the above myself. We have two older laptops, both are working good.