Lost Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
ok, well this actually fits in a few different places. basically, a guy gave me an acer aspire *I say basically, he brought me the computer, told me to fix it, didn't leave a name or anything, never heard back, been 3 months, and I'm leaving next month. if he doesn't come claim it I'm taking it with me* but I don't have the password to log into VISTA. I do not have the little password reset removeable data disk, so how do I reset it?

Hmm, only way I could think is just reinstalling the OS using a disk. No other way to get past vista passwords so far as I know.

still brings up password prompt... I distinctly remember that he had a bsod, but I don't remember when it happened. could there perhaps be an os problem that would cause me to not be able to get into the os? even from safe mode?

stops loading at drivers\crcdisk.sys before going to the login screen

Vista disallows access through the safe mode to admin activities. It is designed that way to protect against getting in without authority, since it was a problem with XP.

I can only truly say that I know the guy and I doubt it's been stolen... i.e. I don't know for sure. I'm in college, and I get TONS of repairs here *I run an under-the-works business here* and this guy just never came back for his pc. I've only done maybe 15 repairs this semester. this was just from early on. anyways... no other ideas? ok, what about putting XP on it formatting it with an XP disk? I've heard there were issues with that

There is no way to recover the Password with Vista yet. You can try the tools in teh XP Password discs and that under the Windows index. (Link in my Sig)

But other than that you would have to either reinstall Vista HP or go with XP. Just make sure you can get drivers!!

I'd just do a reinstall with whatever flavor of Windows that's on the license sticker on the bottom.

I'd hate to see a Vista key go to waste. There are programs that will reset Vista passwords. If you can reset the password, you could then use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to grab the Vista key to reinstall Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom