Looking for a new, rather cheap laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok, my mother has decided to buy me a laptop for my xmass gift, but she needs an idea as to what I want and I HAVE to stay below the price of the laptop. I am looking for any laptop with a decent processor, preferably an AMD processor, with 1GB of ram and a decent integrated graphics card. Screen size needs to be 15inch or bigger... I WAS looking at Newegg.com - HP Pavilion DV9610US(GS718UA) NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58(1.90GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 1GB 160GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 7150M - Retail but I was wondering if I could find something a little cheaper, and I would also like opinions on that laptop, also, the laptop will end up having XP Pro installed so it doesn't matter to much on hardware, just preferences of mine. The max price is ~$600. But I can probably talk her into that HP I linked to with some help from my brother and your opinions...

If you plan on doing any gaming i would recommend this dell vostro.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

The geforce 8400 will give you better performance than integrated graphics. If you can afford it the geforce 8600 is the best graphics card generally available on laptops. Despite many peoples criticism of dell according to consumer reports there laptops are very good quality. I would not buy a HP/Compaq (they are the same company). My laptop is a Compaq and it had defective ram when I picked it up from the store.

With the geforce 8400 the dell comes to $599

I would not recommend anything made by HP. If you do not want a dell then I would recommend checking out Toshiba or Sony. Asus also makes great laptops but they may be outside your price range.

I cannot recommend Hp based on my past experience with them but it is possible that I may have just been unlucky. the laptop that you selected seems to be pretty good but you may be able to get a better price (CompUSA runs a lot of sales on HP's)

I am going to stick with HP, I don't need the laptop for serious gaming, just my casual gaming, wait... is the 7xxx series graphics dx10 capable??? Either way the only games that will ever be played on it will be warcraft 3, sc2, sc, diablo 2 expansion... Other than that, it will be used to do vocational work and school work. Now, it is time to talk mother into the laptop I want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom