Looking for a Laptop around $600

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
So my brother has an old Sony Vaio laptop and he is looking to get a new one on/around Black Friday/Cyber Monday. And I have been delegated to figure out which one to get.

The laptop will be used for word processing, web browsing, movies, and he wants to use it for some (what I would call) light gaming. The games would be like Madden, NBA 2K11, MLB 2K11 but nothing like Crysis or anything. I think a 512 MB card should be enough but more is always better. I think it would be nice to have one that has the switchable graphics (like the Intel & Nvidia systems) for better battery life. I personally prefer Intel CPUs but he doesn't really have a preference either way. I am not to much up on the current CPUs for laptops but I think maybe an i series Intel with 2 cores should be good but I am not sure what you can get for his budget. A DVD burner would be nice (I'm not sure if burners are standard now for laptops or not) but maybe not required (I can ask him for sure). I think 4 GB should be enough RAM and I am not sure how big of a HDD he wants but it should be at least 500 GB.

He also said that he doesn't want it too be a really bulky design and wants it to be more streamlined/stylized. I still need to ask him what size screen he wants but I think a 15" should be ok.

His budget is $600 and he could maybe go up to $625. And I will be paying attention to the Black Friday ads for laptops and asking about ones that I see. And feel free to suggest ones a little over budget because they may be on sale on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ok so my brother said he wants no less then a 14 inch screen and doesn't want a 17 inch (too big). A 15 inch is preferred. He said 500 GB HD will be fine. I am still looking around but if you have one to recommend please do so. Also he said $700 is the absolute top but $625 would be great.

Thanks for the link. He was actually hoping to get one online but I'll float this past him.

What do you think of this one?: ASUS U56E-RBL8 15.6" Laptop | Staples®

Staples has it for sale for $650 and we are going to be at Staples anyway on Black Friday so.... And it has the switchable graphics I believe (not sure on that).

EDIT: I also found this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...11811-Index-_-LaptopsNotebooks-_-34215113-L0C on sale now on Newegg for $500. It has switchable graphics but a lower clock speed (4 cores I know but still seems weird).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom