Looking for Laptop advice! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Old 06-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Red face Looking for Laptop advice!

hey people of techist!

i'm looking to buy a laptop, I have been scouring the internet for weeks looking for something suitable but can't seem to find anything perfect for what I want.

Basically - I want something that runs photoshop (and perhaps multiple programmes) at a good speed. I also want to play games, though not particularly high end games, on it too. (examples.. LoL, baldurs gate, civ, cs:go, maybe the long dark, etc)

I have been advised i7 processor and 8gb ram, which sounds great but getting a little costly for me.

I want to stay as low cost as possible, while not skimping too much on performance.

I have found a couple decent laptops for 350-400 ish which look great, but with a 1366x768 res screen which just looks wank on PS..
looking for at least 1600x900 but pref 1920x1080.

The main thing I need to run is programmes like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash. but also want at least LoL to run well.

TL: DR, looking for a laptop that runs Photoshop and LoL at good speeds with as high res screen as possible. want to pay as little as possible.

Thanks guys any help/advice would be awesome!!

milktoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Looking for Laptop advice!

just found this one...

Buy LENOVO Z50 15.6" Laptop - White | Free Delivery | Currys

reckon it's any good?

milktoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep Lenovo are pretty good. Middle to high in terms of quality/reliability.

I can't really comment on the price since I don't know the current markup on electronics in the UK. But that converts to about $750USD/$800CAD which is alright, but not great for the hardware you're getting.

Baez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

A while ago I bought this for 329.99:
Medion P6647
Intel i5 4210m
Nvidia Geforce 825M (slightly downclocked 830M as far as I'm aware)/Intel HD4600

Medion get some real stick, but I haven't had a problem with mine yet, the new Medions feel like much higher quality machines than the old ones I dealt with!

Check out hotukdeals (as you're in the UK), often laptops crop up on there for good value, though the Medion was by far the best value machine I could find.
cb600fshornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via Skype™ to Zekester2015

I got a Toshiba Satellite C55-B with Windows 8.1 for Christmas of 2014. Works pretty good, It has 2 CPUs (Intel Inside) at 2.16GHz (The PC sometimes overclocks it, if necessary, I have seen it go up to 2.57GHz). a 500GB HDD. USB 3.0, which is now the USB standard, monitor at 1366x768 (I think), HDMI out, DVD drive, 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, Ethernet port (of course), It is under 500 USD, so if your budget isn't that high, I recommend getting one... NO touch screen though, but I have Teamviewer (I put a link in case you are interested https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx), so I can use my iPad (or Android) as an external touchscreen monitor (over Wi-Fi) ... The charging doesn't take that long, and it IS an Energy Star, so it isn't a power guzzler... I recommend getting one of those....
Zekester2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, laptop