Looking for ideal new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Looking for a good, lightweight laptop.
Won't be buying for at least a month.
£1000 ($1400) budget (absolute maximum, would prefer less)
Requirements:
- No bigger than standard 15.6", prefer smaller
- 1080p screen - higher would be nice but seems unlikely
- 2.5kg (5.5lbs) maximum, prefer less - I like to carry my laptop everywhere with me.
- Average GPU - will only be playing basic games like Minecraft.
- HDD space doesn't matter, will be putting an SSD in it.
- Optical drive preferable only so I can swap it out for a HDD bay.
- One or more USB3 ports

Someone on here already pointed to the Sony Vaio S Series, which looks perfect (though I am waiting for them to up it to Ivy Bridge). Just want to be sure there's no other good options out there. The spec I'm looking at from the Sony S is £730 ($1200) but I'm happy to go a bit higher.

Is the ASUS Zenbook within your budget? I think it's ~1400 USD over here.

remixed - I have disagree. Their higher end are quite nice.

They might be nice on paper but reliability is shaky. I had an acer and it died within 3 years of purchase and my mom's from 2008's touchpad is not working right at all... even after repeated attempts with drivers, synaptics software, etc...I had two clients that failed within 4 months of purchase and one client's desktop's motherboard was bad. really bad. I speak from extensive experience. this is all experience within the last 5 years. I cna go back further and dig up more. I fix more of those then dells lately.

Is the ASUS Zenbook within your budget? I think it's ~1400 USD over here.
It kinda is, but issues like the screen not being very good, plus while I LOVE the lightweightedness it's going too far in regards to the functionality it drops that I need; particularly the ability to have more than one HDD (since I want SSD + HDD).
I'd still love to own one, but only if I were wealthy enough to have a heavier-duty laptop to go alongside it so I could choose which to take depending on my needs.

stay away from acer
My current and previous laptops were Acer. Both did me well for what I wanted when I bought them :) The build quality is visibly low (I can bend the bezel around the screen on my current laptop quite considerably!) but I've never actually had any problems with it.

I've been looking for a laptop as well (w/ 2 drive bays), but I don't have the portability issue. I'm looking towards the G55VW...but that's around 9 lbs. A friend of mine had a Toshiba laptop with two drive bays that was pretty light...I just looked for it on Toshiba's (terrible) website, but couldn't find it...don't know the model.

You might like the Gigabyte P2532N, I came across it in my travels

The new HP Envy Spectre is like 14 inches. :p I've always liked HP designs and have worked well for me.

Looks nice but maxes out my budget while missing some of the major features I'm after like 1080p screen.

Well I haven't actually seen a laptop that comes with a 1080p screen by default usually people go and swap the factory screens out for better ones like the 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom