looking to buy a new laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 110
Default looking to buy a new laptop

My brother is really wanting a new laptop for Christmas. He saw the commercial for the HP envy and really wants the envy 14 ($1000). Looking at the specs and everything i feel like there could probably be a better laptop out there for the money. He basically wants a laptop that he can edit music on (plugs a drum machine etc into it) and plays really low graphics games (online pool, etc). So some of the key points he wants is a least 320gb hd (500 or up prefered), excellent sound quality, and webcam with mic (hd webcam would be nice). So anything comprable/better than the envy 14 for less money would be great. Thanks everyone for your input.
__________________

__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - Geforce 8800gt - Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower
PC Power and Cooling 610W - Vista 64 bit Home Premium - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R/DS3
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS 750GB 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1
bbetenia1 is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: looking to buy a new laptop

I think the Envy would be your best bet. Think Puddle would agree.
__________________

__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: looking to buy a new laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
I think the Envy would be your best bet. Think Puddle would agree.
Yup. I'm hardly a HP fanboy but they hit a home run with the Envy series.

When looking at the price of the Envy 14 you need to keep in mind that it is all aluminum and has a much better screen than most other laptops. The only real alternative I can think of is the new Dell XPS 14 but it isn't much cheaper.

Dell XPS 14 Laptop Details | Dell
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
Default Re: looking to buy a new laptop

Since a good sound system is required the envy beats editions would probably be the best bet. However if your brother really wants good sound output, wouldn't it be better to invest in a separate audio system ? I think you will always get a higher quality output. This would also open up your laptop choice as you are not dependent on the sound quality as much.
Flesh is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 110
Default Re: looking to buy a new laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flesh View Post
Since a good sound system is required the envy beats editions would probably be the best bet. However if your brother really wants good sound output, wouldn't it be better to invest in a separate audio system ? I think you will always get a higher quality output. This would also open up your laptop choice as you are not dependent on the sound quality as much.
that was my thinking too when i was talking to him about it. a really nice headset would be better than anything the laptop could put out. but honestly he is a bit of an idiot and very stubborn when it comes to things like this. so my thinking was to find a better performing laptop that he can simply use a nice headset with (i gave him a really expensive $300 bose headset).
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - Geforce 8800gt - Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower
PC Power and Cooling 610W - Vista 64 bit Home Premium - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R/DS3
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS 750GB 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1
bbetenia1 is offline  
Old 11-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
Default Re: looking to buy a new laptop

tbh I am a little confused by your requirements. You mention low graphic games, music editing, webcam/mic, and storage space. If you take out the sound system from the equation, you can easily find a laptop that would accomplish these tasks for a fraction of the price of the hp envy. Actually if online pool is the type of game your brother wants to play, I would even go as far as to recommend a NETbook. I recently stumbled upon the eee pc 1215n netbook that has good enough specs to play world of warcraft as well as starcraft 2. It gives you good battery life and its quite a lot cheaper [].

If you actually do want something that matches the envy's performance (which is quite high for such a light machine), I would say look into the macbook pro 15 (it comes with student discount) sony vaio z ( amazing machine but crappy sound system ) alienware m11x (a gamers portable rig ). All of these variants are more expensive than the envy but they come with a better brand name. Envy has a good price tag for what it offers.
Flesh is offline  
Old 11-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 110
Default Re: looking to buy a new laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flesh View Post
tbh I am a little confused by your requirements. You mention low graphic games, music editing, webcam/mic, and storage space. If you take out the sound system from the equation, you can easily find a laptop that would accomplish these tasks for a fraction of the price of the hp envy. Actually if online pool is the type of game your brother wants to play, I would even go as far as to recommend a NETbook. I recently stumbled upon the eee pc 1215n netbook that has good enough specs to play world of warcraft as well as starcraft 2. It gives you good battery life and its quite a lot cheaper [].

If you actually do want something that matches the envy's performance (which is quite high for such a light machine), I would say look into the macbook pro 15 (it comes with student discount) sony vaio z ( amazing machine but crappy sound system ) alienware m11x (a gamers portable rig ). All of these variants are more expensive than the envy but they come with a better brand name. Envy has a good price tag for what it offers.
these are the things he told me he wanted and the sound system was probably the key part of it
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - Geforce 8800gt - Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower
PC Power and Cooling 610W - Vista 64 bit Home Premium - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R/DS3
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS 750GB 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1
bbetenia1 is offline  
Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: looking to buy a new laptop

You won't get superb sound from any laptop. Very few have their dedicated sound cards. Those that do are well out of your range.
__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Inland Pacific NW
Posts: 35
Default Re: looking to buy a new laptop

Don't want to be a wet towel, but look at tomshardware review. A year old, but have things changed 180 degrees?
__________________

chamaecyparis is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will windex and a paper towel damage my laptop screen / laptop material? rocket1406 System Upgrades 11 01-03-2006 10:10 AM
Looking For A Free Linux Os For My Laptop, Dell Inspiron 3000 Laptop Model No: TS30 Retro_Killa Linux and Open Source 5 04-13-2005 11:54 PM
IBM ThinkPad R30 Laptop/Toshiba 2800 Laptop/PowerBook G3 Lombard/Palm + nVidia + More CrossMX Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 5 10-31-2004 04:28 PM
Sony Vaio Laptop DVDRW P4 + Compaq P3 Laptop + Celeron Laptop + Sony Mavica DigCamera CrossMX Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 2 05-18-2004 12:03 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.