Looking to buy gaming laptop

SirBaas

Beta member
Hey there friendly folks

I'm looking for a nice gaming laptop. I'm going to start at a university in August, and I need a laptop because of the mobility.
My budget lies at around 1500 euro maximum. I'm unsure about this though, if I can get a lot of extra durability (in terms of how long the GPU will last for gaming)
for a bit more money, then I could raise my budget a bit. (keep in mind that 1500 euro thus doesn't mean I necessarily want to spend that much :p)

The GTX 1070 and 1080 will be released soon, and I'm wondering if this might result in a price drop, and if there will be mobile/laptop versions of these cards.
Because in that case I'd like to wait a bit instead of buying one now, to see if prices might drop.

What I'm looking for:*
15" or 17" screen 1920x1080 minimum
Nvidia GPU (GTX 960 or up preferably)
Intel i5 or i7 CPU (haswell or up preferably)
Atleast 1TB HDD
Preferably atleast 120GB SSD (not required)
Windows (10)
Atleast 8GB Ram
HDMI port
Atleast 3 USB ports

All other specs, I don't really care all that much about, but maybe I'm forgetting something.
It might seem like a long list, but it just comes down to 'a nice gaming laptop' hahaha

About the screen, I'm unsure what size to choose. A friend of mine has a 17" MSI, and when I look at it it doesn't look all that big, but I'm worried that it might be a hassle*
to take it to university every day and if the tables there will be big enough hahaha. So a 15" might be a safer bet *But I don't care all that much.

A few of my friends recently bought MSI laptops, and they seem really great. There aren't a lot of gaming laptop brands, and alienware and razer are awfully overpriced. Asus has some
gaming notbooks/laptops but I don't know what the quality of those are. The Asus brand doesn't sound very good to me, I don't know why.
I am currently using a Samsung Ativ Book 6, which has suprised me a lot! I don't think highly of Samsung (and thats an understatement) but this one is really performing much better than expected haha *But it's time to move on to something better!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Christian (SirBaas)

If you can, look into Eurocom to see what you can get for your budget. They have some good laptops and are fully upgradable usually.

Other than that, I've had 2 MSI's and loved 'em. Asus G75 and up series are good and get really good reviews so they're also an option.

IMO I wouldn't really go Alienware or Razer, because like you said they're fairly overpriced for what they are.

The MSI's (and Asus that I had) were all 17" and it was nice for a gaming laptop. You can always hook up a larger display, but for mobile gaming, 17" IMO is plenty fine. One thing you'll definitely want is A GOOD BACKPACK! I carried around 17" gaming laptops for 3 years at college...and I can't stress enough at getting a good / comfortable backpack. Spend the cash to get one with plenty of pockets/storage (you'll be carrying a power brick with you for sure), for laptop, books, accessories.

I would advise you to wait for pascal mobile launch, because if you get gtx 1060 laptop it will be more powerful than gtx 970m

I would advise you to wait for pascal mobile launch, because if you get gtx 1060 laptop it will be more powerful than gtx 970m

Well, is there any info available on when those will be released? I looked into it a few months ago but there was no information about it. And I need a laptop at the end of august because I need it to study.

Alienware is nifty, and definitely high-quality (superb really), and you can't beat the graphics card - but it is heavily priced and it seems like some of it may be undeserved as most of it is final touchups and style improvisions.

Alienware is nifty, and definitely high-quality (superb really), and you can't beat the graphics card - but it is heavily priced and it seems like some of it may be undeserved as most of it is final touchups and style improvisions.

Meh. You pay for the name mostly.

MSI, Asus, Eurocom, Sager, Clevo, etc. are all better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom