LG super multi dvd drive problems!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default LG super multi dvd drive problems!!!

I bought a LG GSA-E40L multi format DVD drive for my hp pavilion zx5000 laptop.
I then had to buy a USB 2.0 card to hook it up to. I haven't been able to get it to work on anything!
It's properties list it as "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-E40L USB Device".
The listed drivers are:

When I connect it to the usb, it shows up, but if i put any cd or dvd in it, the LG drive just blinks forever and shows nothing or freezes up "my computer."

I've d/l 'ed the firmware from LG's HORRIBLE site, but when I run the exe, it shows I have the current drivers / firmware.
Please help, I am pi$$ed @ circuit city guy for recommending this thing (unless someone can get me steered right, then I'll forgive...maybe)

Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: LG super multi dvd drive problems!!!

If the drive blinks forever, that usually mean it can't read the media that has been inserted. If it does that with every disc you put into it, take the drive back for exchange or refund.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Has been replaced, still same problem, even on other computers. Tried on a different desktop computer, same problem. Tried with new usb cord, same problem on both computers. LG support advised they thought it might be a windows xp filter issue and sent me link to remove filters, but my registry did not have the filters listed in folder that was supposed to have them. Any ideas, please, I'm losing my mind on this. This **** drive shows up on my computer like it should, but won't read / show discs regardless of type inserted. I can use command list on my computer to eject. All drivers have been updated. What next????
Old 04-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Since it doesn't work on any computer, I'd have circuit city try it on one of their computers. I find it hard to believe you ended up with two defective units.
Closed Thread