Lenovo z560 v. g560

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalls0224

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I've been enlisted to find an inexpensive laptop for my girlfriend's mother. She doesn't need anything too fancy and her budget is $500. I looked around and saw these two Lenovo laptops:

Z560-$450
Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 0914 42U Laptop Computer With 156 LED Backlit Screen Intel Core i3 380M Processor With Hyper Threading Technology by Office Depot

G560-$470
Lenovo G560 0679AKU Notebook PC - Intel Core i3-380M 2.53GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6 Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit at TigerDirect.com

I tried to look at both of the laptops and the only difference I could find is the Z560 has 320gb HD and an HDMI port and the G560 has a 500gb HD and no HDMI.

They appear to have the same screen size, processor, ram, and graphics. Am I missing something in the model types? Is one a higher quality/newer build? Is there another laptop around that is better than these two or should I just stick with the Z560?

Thanks in advance.

TBH, I'd go with the one from TD. I never buy in store hardware unless I drastically need it. This is from large chains I'm talking about, BestBuy, Office Max/Depot, etc. However, Newegg, TD, Microcenter, etc, is fine.

I understand your hesitation on big box stores but the question is why? What makes the Tiger Direct laptop better than the Office Depot laptop other than from where it is purchased?

If they both came from the same store, which one would be better?

it really doesn't matter. The difference as you pointed out is that one's got HDMI, the other has a larger hard drive. I'm gonna go ahead and venture a guess that your gf's mother will NEVER use up 320gb, and if anything the HDMI will be more useful if she wants to hook it up to a TV to show pictures of a vacation to family and friends or something.

Buying from a big box chain usually amounts to higher prices and tax, whereas buying it online you're not as subject to that stuff, but you've gotta pay for shipping and wait for it to get there, also you don't have a direct person to go yell at if something messes up ;)

They're pretty much the same laptop, so it comes down to where you feel more comfortable buying from. Also keep this in mind if when you're getting it, if she gets it from office depot, and she has a problem with it, she's gonna go directly to them. If she gets it off TD then chances are she might go to you and say hey you recommended from them what do I do I've got "XXXX" problem. Working (and living) with adults who are more out of the loop than us kids are with tech, it's generally better for peace of mind to buy from a big box store so there's a living breathing person you can take it to, rather than get the run around on the phone and have to wait days or weeks just to get a new one, or run the risk of having it sent back to you with a note that says sorry you're SOL.

just my 2 cents, but ultimately it doesn't really matter because they're both the same laptop and they're a fine laptop for whatever she wants to do I'm sure.

The same thing could happen in store, too. Oh sure, they'll get it fixed for you, in a couple weeks, we don't have any in our store, or sure, you have to pay $100 out of your pocket.

just my 3 cents. :p

Thanks all. Yeah, Peter, I think I'll just go with the Office Depot one. It seems better for her situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom