Lenovo W510 or HP Envy 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeynavy1976

Baseband Member
I'm trying to get some advice without luck. I recently bought an HP Envy 15, and have a few days left to return it. It hasn't caused me any problems, but there are two issues that really bother me. They are:

1) It is a Core i7 720qm processor with ATI 5830. I understand that it has power requirements, and throttles on battery power. That being said, it throttles from 1.6 GHz down to 931 MHz, which seems awfully low.
2) Despite the high throttling above, which can't be changed, the 6-cell battery barely gets 1.5 hours of life. The additional 9-cell slice gets it to 3.5 hours, which still isn't that great, considering it adds 2 lbs to the weight, and about an inch of thickness.

One of the major selling points of this laptop is that you get power in a light, portable frame. That is really not the case, as I mentioned above. Therefore, while I still have time I'm looking for advice. I've been looking at the Lenovo W510. Does anyone know how it would compare to the Envy 15? I know there is a slight loss in graphics , but how much more battery life does its 9-cell get vs. the HPs 6-cell? Does it throttle as much under battery power? Would you go for the Lenovo or the HP? I've also looked at Asus but the delivery time is too high, and it was more expensive. I'm not doing gaming, but want good graphics. I'm also in the military and intend to take the laptop with me when I deploy. Thoughts?

Lenovo's are great laptops. A friend of mine uses his at school, it lasts him all day. I can't say what the exact version is, but overall, Lenovo is a good brand.

If it's going to take any form of abuse I would recommend the Thinkpad line from lenovo, they are solid and nothing else comes close for reliability and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom