Lenovo R61 Laptop. Changed LCD Panel. Now I get a slew of errors upon bootup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I work in a school district. We picked up about 450 Lenovo R61 laptops. Two had broken LCDs. (**** kids).

I changed the LCD panel on both. Both laptops were easy to change. I worked very slow and delicately with the wires and such.

I booted each laptop up and after the initial BIOS screen, it prompted me with a slew of errors. I don't recall each of them. But it was black screen, white text, left side.

I remember seeing something about the USB controller failed, network connection failed, etc etc etc.

The strange thing is, both laptops did this. I'm thinking we'll just re-clone the drives, since we have a master drive handy. But I have no clue why an LCD panel would intefere with everything else...

Any ideas?

Yeah since they were in use before it could have happened then, no proof it was the lcd panels at all. I can't think of why an lcd panel replacement would cause a slew of errors like that unless you jarred something loose when you were replacing them, but as you said, you were very careful. Cloning the drives certainly wouldn't hurt anything, so why not? The damage may have been done before you got to them anyways.

The way the Lenovo's are made, I just can't imagine I did anything wrong. It's one connection. I took it off carefully. Besides that, it's metal hinges with metal screws... simple as that.

This is confusing, but I'll check it out more on monday. I realized this friday afternoon after a long day and closed up shop when I saw the errors. :p

That's what I'm thinking, I seriously doubt it's anything you could've done. Many Lenovos are made that way from what I've seen and it's an incredibly simple swap out. Well I guess you'll know more on Monday; I'll be interested to see what the culprit was or if just a new disk clone fixes everything.

Rookie Mistake...

The hard drives were removed before the laptops were placed in my possession. They were sitting on a co-workers desk and I had no idea.

Duuuur!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom