Lenovo laptop internet issues (card going bad?)

wbuff

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

So I've got a Lenovo laptop (don't have specs right now, not with my laptop), that I've had for about 2 1/2 years. I am currently using Comcast internet with a new xFinity router. I haven't had problems with internet until recently. The internet runs fine on other laptops and my phone (iPhone 6), but on my laptop the internet runs very very poorly. Loading a YouTube video is virtually impossible and surfing the internet is a drag. I ran a speedtest and my download speed spikes to around 11mbs, which is around what it should be, then it drops down to around .5 mbs, which is absolutely pathetic. All my drivers are up to date and I have ran virus scans with Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender (I'm running Windows 8.1) and no viruses were found. I haven't connected my laptop directly to ethernet yet, but I will when I get home. However, for the time being, does anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

Thanks,

Wyatt

Last edited:
How did you check for driver updates? Did you lookup the brand/model of the wifi card itself and go to their site (e.g. Intel, Atheros, etc.) and get the latest drivers directly from them?

Would suggest doing that if you haven't. And yeah, let us know what hooking up to ethernet does.

How did you check for driver updates? Did you lookup the brand/model of the wifi card itself and go to their site (e.g. Intel, Atheros, etc.) and get the latest drivers directly from them?

Would suggest doing that if you haven't. And yeah, let us know what hooking up to ethernet does.

I didn't actually look up the specific model of my wifi card, I just used the device manager and checked from there.

I didn't actually look up the specific model of my wifi card, I just used the device manager and checked from there.

Not the correct way to do it (through device manager). Check the brand/model through Device Manager and then look up via Google an get the latest driver that way.

If your card is Atheros, then Atheros.cz (a czech site) is the one to go to.

If your card is Atheros, then Atheros.cz (a czech site) is the one to go to.

Just be careful on this site because there are a lot of links on the edges are sketchy. I don't believe that this is an official Atheros site. That said, you can also go directly to the manufacturer for your computer and get the newest download from there. Most manufacturer's will post them, although I know some do not.

Just be careful on this site because there are a lot of links on the edges are sketchy. I don't believe that this is an official Atheros site. That said, you can also go directly to the manufacturer for your computer and get the newest download from there. Most manufacturer's will post them, although I know some do not.

Haha, no worries, I know for a fact it's not an Atheros card.

While you're correct that Atheros.cz isn't an official Atheros/Qualcomm site...it's an unofficial driver repo that has all of their drivers, as well as the latest versions (and past versions). I've been using it for years without issue for every Atheros chipset I've touched. I was wary of it at first as well since it was a .CZ site...but after reading up on it, it's where I go to for Atheros drivers. It's also usually one of the top results when searching Google for Atheros drivers.

Turns out I had an Atheros device lol. Anyway, I have the Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter. I updated to the latest driver and still no luck.

Back
Top Bottom