Lenovo ideapad y650

Status
Not open for further replies.

HokieMuscle

Beta member
I'm looking at a lenovo ideapad y650 for college, one model is $900 and the other is $1250. The only differences between the two is that the more expensive one has a
NVIDIA GeForce G 105M 256MB instead of Intel Integrated Graphics X4500, and Bluetooth Version 2.0 + EDR instead of just the Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100. Is it worth the extra $350 for these upgrades? This computer has to last me 4 years.

Thanks!

Only if you're gaming. Honestly even then $350 sounds awful steep for what isn't a great video card upgrade to begin with. The 105M is midrange at best, I think.

Is there any reason you're looking at Lenovo in particular? They're nice laptops but honestly I think you could get a better value with a different brand.

I've got a real thing for MSI notebooks, they're very nice and several members here own them, myself included. Asus is also very good.

Check this out for example:
Newegg.com - ASUS N81 Series N81Vg-X2A NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz) 14" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 120M - Laptops / Notebooks

A little less than the cheaper Lenovo but I think it's specs are much better and the build and screen quality are going to be very good. If you want a larger screen you can actually get an even better video card to boot for not much more money. Newegg has a pretty good selection of Asus laptops, you should check those out.

I'm looking at a lenovo ideapad y650 for college, one model is $900 and the other is $1250. The only differences between the two is that the more expensive one has a
NVIDIA GeForce G 105M 256MB instead of Intel Integrated Graphics X4500, and Bluetooth Version 2.0 + EDR instead of just the Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100. Is it worth the extra $350 for these upgrades? This computer has to last me 4 years.

Thanks!

The nVidia GeForce G 105M is a rather guttless card. Sure I t would be better that the in Intel X4500. However i would not be paying $350 for it when you can get some thing better from MSI or Asus

I've got a real thing for MSI notebooks, they're very nice and several members here own them, myself included. Asus is also very good.
Both Manufacturers boost a 2 year international warranty too. Lenovo is still 1 year on most of thier notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom