Left side of laptop is EXTREMELY hot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Left side of laptop is EXTREMELY hot

the left side is extremely hot, almost burning hot, and it is also heating up the wooden desk which it is rested on. The only thing i have plugged in is a recharger, i have removed the battery because do not actually move my laptop around much so i just keep it on A/C. However, my laptop has never shut down, or nothing bad has happened even though its really hot, any thoughts on this, will it become a problem? And if so, how do i cool it?
Also, when my laptop is in hibernation, will all process be running? and also will it still be processing? I normally put my laptop on hibernation overnight.

Is wood the best surface for a laptop to be placed on or should i place something in between the laptop and the desk?
Thanks

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Left side of laptop is EXTREMELY hot

Get a cooling pad, be sure the vents on the side are clean of dust. If you don't want a cooling pad, try lifting up your laptop on the back with whatever you have, a few inches does wonders. What type of temperatures are we getting? Get HWMonitor and post up a screenshot.

In hibernation, all your processes in memory are written to your HDD, and fully shut down. So no, in hibernation, your system wouldn't be doing anything.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
Get a cooling pad, be sure the vents on the side are clean of dust. If you don't want a cooling pad, try lifting up your laptop on the back with whatever you have, a few inches does wonders. What type of temperatures are we getting? Get HWMonitor and post up a screenshot.

In hibernation, all your processes in memory are written to your HDD, and fully shut down. So no, in hibernation, your system wouldn't be doing anything.
if i put like a small book under it, would that help or do anything?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

A book would only help if your laptop is sitting on carpet or something soft. Chances are your heatsink is clogged up.
Closed Thread