Leaving the laptop on inside the case...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PwnagePanda

Baseband Member
At what point do you feel that overheating will become a problem with a laptop in a protective case?

Of course G2 [off] is safe and I'm fairly certain that S4 will be safe because it's using almost no power, but should I worry about leaving the laptop in S3 or maybe even idle while in it's case? (for no more than an 15 minutes).

Sony Viao FZ series VGN-FZ190 CTO
Product: R1NBSU07-LBOM
Component: 802.11a\b\g\n with BT
Component: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Component: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT
Component: 15.4" WXGA (HC) W/CMR
Component: Combo (CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive)
Component: 100 GB Hard Disk Drive
Component: 2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667MHz, 1 GBx2)
Component: Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7300 / 2.0 GHz

did that with my acer 3620... went blue screen then did system check up of C drive.... accidentally turned on in my bookbag... was on standby and i suppose a key was pressured.

it was VERY VERY hot. the most i've seen it go was at 205* doing maximum sitting on a bed. which was just a test.

you should have your laptop open when its on and in an open area so it can breath

When I was at college, I would close the lid (idle) and throw my laptop in my backpack during session breaks or if I had to go to the bathroom or walk to another class (5-20 minutes). It survived and didn't even get warm.

I think it all depends on how hot your system runs normally. My V2000Z (Sempron-M, integrated graphics) ran very cool even under heavy load.

I once threw a Pentium-4 (Northwood desktop) ZE5170 notebook under my blanket to try to activate the high fan speed setting (just to see how loud it would get). I eventually forgot about it for about 45 minutes. When I removed it, it was toasty, but it didn't die.

Unless your laptop is under load or running a game or something, it should be able to last 15 minutes with poor air circulation without a problem. But of course, that all depends how hot it runs normally.

Of course not! Naw I'm just kidding all of the posts together gave me an idea of what to expect, thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom