Lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

Daemon Poster
My VAIO LCD is completely dark. I can't see anything there. You can hear all sounds and noises like the Sony Logo and when Windows logins. I connect the laptop to my 52" Sony HDTV with a VGA cable. I can only see it when Window logins. Anyone know what is causing it?

Okay, so once you are logged into windows you can't see anything anymore on the HDTV?

Have you tried booting in safe mode? It sounds like your LCD is out and you'd have to get a replacement. I believe the only reason you can ONLY see the screen during windows login is a settings / driver issue.

Boot in safe mode and see if you can see your screen on the HDTV after login.

Okay, so once you are logged into windows you can't see anything anymore on the HDTV?

Have you tried booting in safe mode? It sounds like your LCD is out and you'd have to get a replacement. I believe the only reason you can ONLY see the screen during windows login is a settings / driver issue.

Boot in safe mode and see if you can see your screen on the HDTV after login.

I can see everything in my HDTV 'AFTER' Windows logins.

I can't see anything on the HDTV (It says 'No Signal') or on the LCD 'BEFORE' Windows login.

I replacement will cost me $700. I can't see anything on the screen only hear the sounds. I can't see the BIOS or the Recovery Center which I can re-install the operating system. Can't access Safe Mode because I can't see anything.

Then your LCD screen is definately burnt out. Check the connectors to the motherboard, if your lucky maybe one of those is loose, but more than likely the screen is dead.

The reason you can't see anything BEFORe windows is because that is an auxilary video feed, so things like POST will not show up on the HDMI output cable since it is not the 'primary' screen at this moment. You might be able to change that in your video settings to primarily go through the HDMI cable, BUT that won't fix your issue. As safe mode, last known config, or recovery console won't fix the screen.

Sorry for the bad news, you could just purchase a cheap LCD screen for a desktop for les than 200 dollars and use that, but it defeats the mobile purpose of a laptop.

Hold a light up to the screen. There is a chance that it's just the backlight that went out, the actual screen may be good.

If you can see Windows booting on the LCD with a light up to it, that means you either need a new light bulb or a new inverter. Not sure how easy it is to replace the bulb, but from what I've seen the inverter shouldn't be too hard (you don't have to mess with the actual LCD panel to replace it).

I'll try to unscrew everything and look inside then I'll try with the light because it costs $700 to get a replacement LCD and the laptop is pink.

I don't want to bump this thread or double post but today i found out that the LCD is still working but it is very hard to see so it might be the backlight. Anyway to fix it?

Inverter: 1-479-155-31

Replace the backlight. Which costs about the same as buying a new monitor. Maybe even a whole new laptop. When buying spare parts separately they aren't cheap.

Replace the backlight. Which costs about the same as buying a new monitor. Maybe even a whole new laptop. When buying spare parts separately they aren't cheap.

How am I gonna replace the backlight or you mean the inveter? We already bought a new Sony VAIO laptop just trying to fix this one so the mother can use it.

Hello,

First things first.

I'm assuming you notebook is out of warranty...?

Is your notebook's display CCFL or LED backlit? Also, what is your Sony VAIO laptop model? If there are several variants, provide a specific model/product number. This is important for you to be able to know what you need to replace, and what parts you'll need to buy.

If your laptop has CCFL backlighting, then either a faulty CCFL backlight and/or the inverter may be causing the problem. However, if your laptop has LED backlighting, then only the LED backlight is likely to be causing the problem (since they typically don't require an inverter). I'm unsure of whether the LED backlight can be replaced in an LCD LED backlit display; it is my understanding that the whole display has to be replaced.

Other problems like loose wiring may also be the causing the problem. In any instance, if you're going to repair the notebook yourself, it's best to get hold of a service manual for your notebook (usually obtainable from the manufacturer's support website) to be clear of the innards of your notebook, and the specific parts involved (which you'll likely need to replace).

As already mentioned, replacing notebook parts can be very costly, and end up costing more than the notebook is actually worth. eBay is usually a good place to find cheap replacement parts for notebooks, so once you've identified the part numbers for the parts that need replacing, it might be wise to look there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom