laptops without hard drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default laptops without hard drives

I work at a school and we recently got three IBM think pad 9457 laptops as a gift. These laptops had been used by the military and had the hard drives removed. I need to get them up and running. I don't have the recovery discs that came with the original units. Besides buying and installing the hard drives what else do I need to do to get it working? Do I need to buy windows and if so can I buy one and install on multiple machines? What is the best and cheapest way to get these working.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: laptops without hard drives

Welcome to TF!

You need a Window's operating system (or Linux), Retail or OEM. Unless you use a volume license at school, you need separate licenses for every laptop. You can buy single licenses for less than the box.

Anything else, ask away.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: laptops without hard drives

We don't have a volume license but is it possible to buy one windows at a retail store then buy extra licenses for the others? If so where can I buy the extra licenses? Do I need anything else like drivers?
Closed Thread