laptops and travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkywaggnelz

In Runtime
I have a few general questions about taking laptops abroad and through airports.

1) When taking a laptop as a carry-on through an airport, can they go through the x-ray/security scanners? Will it like erase my HDD or ruin stuff? How about with an mp3 player?

2) I am going to Jordan (in the middle east). What kind of plug converter do I need?

It wouldn't normally damage your laptop as far as I know but they don't force you to put it thru the security scanner. You will have to boot it up and show them that it runs Windows, not drugs or bombs, so you should have it already fully booted and running on battery power before you get to the check point. Same with the mp3 player.

As far as your converter I don't know a specific one but if you look at the back of any converter's packaging it will list the countries it is designed to work in. Most places carry just a couple of universal ones that will work in pretty much any country, so just make sure Jordan is on the list.

I don't see why it would mess up your system. I highly doubt it'd ruin anything, but I would still question the HDD. Magnetic rays and X-rays don't hurt electronics, but the magnetic platters on hard drives can have data messed up under intense magnetic fields. However, it's an X-ray image system, not a magnetic image system, so I'd think it'd be OK.

As for the plug, it has to both physically fit into the outlet as well has have the right voltage. Just because you get a plug adapter that fits into their outlets and lets you plug your stuff in, doesn't mean it's good. They may use 220V (America uses 110V). Plugging your 110V device into 220V makes for an instant cooked device. A lot of devices have switching PSU's that can operate on either voltage (check the label) but if not you'll need to get a step down box or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom