Re: laptops and travel
I don't see why it would mess up your system. I highly doubt it'd ruin anything, but I would still question the HDD. Magnetic rays and X-rays don't hurt electronics, but the magnetic platters on hard drives can have data messed up under intense magnetic fields. However, it's an X-ray image system, not a magnetic image system, so I'd think it'd be OK.
As for the plug, it has to both physically fit into the outlet as well has have the right voltage. Just because you get a plug adapter that fits into their outlets and lets you plug your stuff in, doesn't mean it's good. They may use 220V (America uses 110V). Plugging your 110V device into 220V makes for an instant cooked device. A lot of devices have switching PSU's that can operate on either voltage (check the label) but if not you'll need to get a step down box or something.