Laptops that support 16 GB memory modules

Phrantic

In Runtime
Hi,

I'm currently shopping for a laptop that has an active digitizer as well as 16 GB memory support. There was only one model I found that supported this, the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 15. Turns out now the model with the active digitizer won't be produced for a while and instead we have the Thinkpad Yoga 14, which supports it. This laptop however only has space for one memory module and Lenovo lists the memory support as up to 8 GB.

I want to know if that is simply because 16 GB modules are simply not yet on the market or if the motherboard has some kind of limitation. When I ask vendors (I also asked Dell since the Inspiron 13 7000 has switchable memory) are very cryptic about it since they don't want to answer what third party components they would or wouldn't support.

My fear is that when I buy the Thinkpad Yoga 14 and one day 16 GB modules hit the market; I switch the 8 GB module for a 16 GB module and the motherboard won't POST.

I understand this question invites speculation rather than fact but would it actually make sense to have a motherboard limit on how much memory it can read from one slot?

If by any chance I've missed a laptop with two 16 GB slots that actually has an active digitzer I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom