Laptop worth fixing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say any laptop is worth fixing up if it doesn't need too much work. Wiping the HD (or SSD on some netbooks) is free so definitely do that, just reinstall the OS as that ensures you get a factory fresh experience. Finding a new power brick would be the tough part, it may cost some but you may be able to find a used one or an off-brand one cheaper. If it runs Vista it's definitely good enough to keep, I have an older laptop that runs XP that I still use occasionally, bought it used for $160 a few years ago. If you don't get a new power brick you could probably still get more than $20 (probably more than $100 without the brick) if you just clean it up (both format it and wipe the hardware off to remove dirt, dust, fingerprints, etc) and sell it.

It's called "inexperience" :lol:

As said on the thread about my build, I was working with a friend who has a 4 year in Computer Science from UNC, he's hardly inexperienced.
I'm just the one having to translate between him and you guys to figure it out.

Thanks Calc, yeah once I know the model number I'll be able to say more. Wiping the HD isn't an issue, I was going to sell it AS IS cheap to whoever wanted to pick up the charger themselves.

I had good luck with a laptop battery on eBay. The one I got had a 1-year warranty. I expect power bricks would be similar.

@JoshuaJay- I was just joking. I'm known on here for it. I have a 2-year Associates Degree in Computer Support, plus 10 years of personal experience.

Ebay is an option for sure. I'll probably grab it, wipe the HD, fresh Install and sell it As-Is for way cheap. I'd only be investing $20 so any gain is good.

I don't claim to know anything about hardware. that's why I'm here learning :)

But I'm about to hate computers if mine keeps eating money.

If you're just trying to sell it I don't know if I would invest in a battery. You're probably better off selling it with the old battery and just saying the battery wasn't tested or guaranteed to hold a charge. You may pay $70+ for a new battery (buying a used battery is never a good idea) but you probably won't get that much back.

I just found out the model.

It's an Accer 15.6'' Aspire 5517 Series -- Runs over $300 new so probably worth it.

Calc, I was never going to buy a charger, and he lost the old one. I was just going to sell it cheap as-is, buyer gets the charger themselves.

At $20 it would be a safe investment in just about any computer, even if it was not working lol. I would recommend selling it, just be like, "Works fine, but needs virus removal and a new charger". Mark that biotch up to like $200 and sell it on ebay, people will buy anything there lol. Sold a broken watch (No gears, pin and crown removed, and hands hooked on each-other with a broken face for $100 on ebay (225 new). Crazy what people will buy.

Haha, I'm most likely selling it to someone here, so obviously I'd tell them what's up with it.

I'll probably take $100 for it, they get the charger separately themselves. Even if the charger is like $50 they still making a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom