Laptop for work and play..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
So, I'm looking for a laptop that will run fast enough to handle recent games on decent settings (Diablo 3 on high,) which means it will definitely be fast enough for my work, which is just typing and some AutoCAD type things, but it will not be running AutoCAD, it's a cheap knock-off that doesn't use nearly as many resources.

My budget is under 1000$. Which I realize isn't optimal for a gaming laptop. I already have a gaming desktop, which can handle anything on Ultra @ over 60fps, so it's not a huge deal if I have to sacrifice some performance in games.

This is what I was looking at:
Newegg.com - ASUS A53SV-NH51 Notebook Intel Core i5 2430M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 640GB HDD 5400rpm DL DVD±RW/CD-RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

I would like to stick with ASUS if possible, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you for reading!

Why don't you just game on your desktop? There's little hope with playing Diablo 3 on high. Laptops just are not made for gaming, with their lower power and heat dispense problems.

If you're not running AutoCAD, what are you running?

It's called Exactimate, it's for estimating jobs completed by various contractors.

It shouldn't be too hard to run Diablo 3 on high settings, the game ran on my old PC with ultra settings, and that was just a GTX 260, i7 920 and 6gb DDR3 @ 1600. I'd settle for medium though.

I want the laptop for when I'm not at home, or when I'm staying at my bro's or a friend's place.

Asus G7x series. Enough said.

Agreed. I love my G73jh. It's an amazing laptop (albeit huge), and was able to snag it for $780 off of Newegg (refurb). Swapped out the stock 1600x900 screen for a 1920x1080 screen, and it's perfect.

Seems pretty good for its price. Hard drive is quite slow, but you get what you pay for. AMD Radeon HD 7670M - Notebookcheck.net Tech <--This doesn't have Diablo 3 on there, but you can get the general idea of that GPU.

Can always replace an HDD pretty easily, so I wouldn't worry about HDD speed.

I'd say it looks like a pretty solid laptop; only thing is its only a 1600x900 res screen... but I'm sure you can find a 1080p replacement. I did with my G73JH off of LAPTOP SCREEN, LCD panels from $42. Dell, HP Compaq, Toshiba, Acer, IBM Lenovo, Sony, Gateway, Apple, Asus replacement screen display panel

First screen they sent me had a cluster of bad pixels (about 8-10 of them); so they sent me a new one, free of charge with 2 day shipping.

I don't see it as an easy way to get screens... I see it as great customer service. Plus it would have cost them more money to properly dispose of it themselves than it would be for me to dispose of it, since I'm not a business owner. The screen was ~$100 + shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom