laptop won't connect to router with or without router but can find it - help please! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default laptop won't connect to router with or without router but can find it - help please!

My dell inspiron 1318 won't connect to the router so I can't get internet. I have tried it both wireless and with the ETHERNET (noticed my stupid mistake in the title once I'd posted and it's the only thing I can't edit!!) cable but no luck. I read a previous thread (now closed) where a member called agilchrist suggested doing this -
Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps. 1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed. 2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed? 3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed? 4. should be enabled and working properly.

I have done this and was wondering if there was anyone out there who would be abloe to look at the results and maybe offer some help?

The results were as follows...
1) bluetooth device (personal area network)
Bluetooth device (RFCOMM) protocol TDI)
broadcom 590x10/100 ethernet
dell wireless 1395 WLAN minicard

2) no red x's displayed

3) under other devices there are six 'bluetooth peripheral device' all with a yellow triangle and and !

I have tried to do a system restore except my leptop says I don't have any restore points so basically I don't have a clue what to do.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

loubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: laptop won't connect to router with or without router but can find it - help please!

So it can see the router's SSID, but can't connect to it?

Did you try the Window's troubleshooter? Might be a long shot, but something may be turned off.

Could also be malware that is preventing you from connecting. Try running Malwarebytes.

That's all I can think of.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: laptop won't connect to router with or without router but can find it - help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
So it can see the router's SSID, but can't connect to it?

Did you try the Window's troubleshooter? Might be a long shot, but something may be turned off.

Could also be malware that is preventing you from connecting. Try running Malwarebytes.

That's all I can think of.
Hi, yes I've done all the troubleshooting crap to no avail. My drivers are apparently all working and up to date and my WLAn card is working.

The laptop's been off for a while. I'm wondering if it may be virus related (should have mentioned this first really but was focussed on what the person was asking for).

I downloaded a book, a warning came up from AVG (free) saying a virus (or something harmful - whatever it was) had been stopped but needed reboot to get rid of completely, so I did. Then this is when the problem started. My AVG said components weren't working after reboot, then windows defender sign is in the tray thing at the bottom of the screen red saying parts of this were turned off. At this point I was still connecting to the router (wireless). After a couple more reboot attempts I lost connection and haven't been able to reconnect since. I have been forced to use my ancient slower than slow computer downstairs lol!

I thought maybe defender was conflicting with AVG so I turned the firewall off (defender) hoping that this might resolve the issue but no.

Sorry to rabbit on, what I actually wanted to know is what is malwarebytes? Thanks.
loubee is offline   Reply With Quote