Laptop won't charge - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop won't charge

Alright i admit it... I dropped my laptop. It ran completely fine under battery power but the battery failed to charge. I suspected internal damage. No longer covered under warranty, I took my chance and disassembled to see if I could figure out the problem. One of the wires connected to the power jack (not soldered onto the motherboard) was pinched almost completely off. I fixed that but something is still wrong. When I plug it in, the critical battery light blinks every 5-6 secs, but all other LEDs remain off. Nothing else happens. Zero. Nada. Zilch. All connections appear fine, cables are fine, all other parts appear fracture-free. I'm stuck. Does anybody have any idea what I should be looking for?

Running a Toshiba Satellite A200 btw. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber
Default Re: Laptop won't charge

ensure that your battery is seated correctly. once that is done *as I'm sure it is* check to make sure that your "pinched" wire did not cause a short, see if you can see any burn marks around the power receptical on the board. ensure that the receptical itself is not damaged. also, make sure that the solder isn't cracked or damaged as this can signify more damage yet

EVGA X58 Classified, EVGA GTX 275 CO-OP Edition, Intel Core i7 230@2.68GHz, 1080W Enermax Evolution, 6GB G-Skill DDR3@8-8-8-19

Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Laptop won't charge

Was it powered on when you dropped it? If not it's almost surely a connection/solder problem. If so your problems may run deeper. But triple check that area that was pinched.
Closed Thread