Laptop Without Battery - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop Without Battery

I realize that my laptop works pluging it into the oulet without carrying the battery , but is it recomendable to operate the laptop without the battery, will a current surge cause any damage to it..Any advice is most welcome...Thanx

Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Laptop Without Battery

Running without a battery is fine, the only time I have my battery in my laptop is when i am charging it.

Visit this and do something for the world!

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Did you know that if you run off AC with the battery in, it charges the battery and runs off AC as if the battery's not there.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
T.F's Resident Cool Guy...
Send a message via AIM to Yek Send a message via MSN to Yek Send a message via Yahoo to Yek

Leaving the battery in only causes problems when it gets hot, the heat kills em so when it's charged it would be reccomended to take it out. But to be honest it don't really matter.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

It usually doesn't matter but I suppose it can be best to remove the battery when it's charged and not in use. The heat and so forth can start to wear them down.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

no actually having the battery in while using ac lowers the life of the battery. because it continuelly charges it. thats why when u use ac u take the batter out. unless u want ur battery to only last an hour.
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Exposing the battery to high temperatures and keeping the battery fully charged for extended periods (therefore keeping the Lithium-ion cells at maximum voltage and at high current) are the main factors which can decrease the overall battery life (that is, the overall useful capacity or run-time).

For a typical fully charged Lithium-ion battery, storing it at 40°C would result in around 35% capacity loss after 1 year, whereas storing it at 25°C would result in only around 20% of capacity loss after 1 year.

Lithium-ion batteries consist of multiple cells. Typical Manganese chemistry type Lithium-ion batteries have a maximum voltage limit of 4.20V per cell, achieved when the battery is at 100% state of charge (fully charged). At 40% state of charge, the cells are at around 3.75V.

At 25°C, storing the battery at 100% state of charge will result in around 20% capacity loss after 1 year, whereas storing the battery at 40% state of charge (at the same temperature) will result in only around 4% capacity loss after 1 year.

Personally, I keep my battery in my laptop most of the time, and leave the power adapter connected. My laptop doesn't dissipate much heat, and I need to ensure that my battery is fully charged since I'm always using it for long periods on the go. In addition, keeping the battery inserted means I won't be affected by a power cut (effectively an Uninterruptible Power Supply). To add, it's easy to pull out the power adapter from my laptop, and there's been many occasions where I've experienced sudden loss of power due to the power cable being accidentally tugged free (very annoying especially when you haven't saved your work in your current session).

About the concern over the dangers of a power surge, battery inserted or no battery inserted, so long as a power adapter is connected from your power outlet to your laptop, your laptop is at risk from being damaged from a power surge. Therefore, as with all powered devices, it's advised not keep your laptop connected to a power outlet during a thunderstorm.

I should also clarify that Li-ion batteries don't trickle charge like Ni-MH battery do. Instead, a topping charge is performed when the capacity is low. A typical fully charged manganese chemistry type Lithium-ion battery (where cells are at typical 4.20V) will charge again after 20 days (when the cells drop to around 4.00V).

Hyperzone! - Power That Laptop!
Welcome to Battery University

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Closed Thread