laptop wireless stopped working, lenovo z750! help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyh1ppo

Solid State Member
I have a Lenovo ideapad z570 which I've been using for a few weeks now with no problems. I then installed ubuntu onto it and after not being able to get the wireless to work in ubuntu I restarted and booted back into windows. In windows the wireless does not work either, after troubleshooting why it just tells me I need the turn the wireless adapter on using the switch, but the switch is already on.

Everything is enabled, I've reinstalled all the drivers and still nothing so I then did a complete system restore and still it says its 'turned off'.

Is there anything else I can do or does it sound like the hardware itself has somehow broken and I need to return it? Or is it something to do with getting ubuntu as its all happened at the same time?

Any help is appreciated!

What wireless manufacturer is it? Atheros, Intel or Broadcom is usually the best for Linux.

Try starting up the system with it off. Once you get into windows, turn it on, any change?

Could just be a dodgy wireless card. I see this all the time. If it is accessible, in a compartment, or whatnot, try reseating the card.

Thanks for the quick response.

It is an atheros AR9285.

Tried starting up with it off then turning it on, but still says 'wireless capability is turned off'.

Its looking like it may be a dodgy card, although it worked fine for so long, is it possible for them to stop suddenly?

Ill see if I can access it but i'm not massively confident in myself being able to.

Yea, I wouldn't break the warranty if it is. Ask Lenovo for an RMA form. Wireless cards can go dodgy. I had to replace them in 5 laptops so far I fixed for friends. All different models, so Lenovo is not to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom