Laptop w touchscreen, tablet, mini-pc - Taking Suggestings!

techsome

Beta member
I'm trying to decide between buying a laptop with or without a touchscreen, a tablet or perhaps a mini-pc connected to my TV. At the moment I don't have a very good reason for owning a laptop except that I'd be able to take it from room to room in my apartment. However living in a place with only 3 rooms there won't be much porting about. I am looking for the ability to just sit on the couch, type emails and veg while maybe watching some TV - even take it to bed with me....uh, you know what I mean.

My place has 4 rooms (bath, bedroom, computer room and living room). My comp room has a 2.7Ghz dual core with 4GB RAM (basically it's a Gateway sx2865 on Windows 7) that I'd be willing to sell and upgrade to something else - being that I use Photoshop quite often and would also like to experiment with some music or video editing software.

My brother just bought himself an Acer 552p - x617 touchscreen on Windows 8. It's has a nice touchscreen though it seems to get a bit laggy, the finger pad can be a bit of paradox as the right and left buttons built into the pad are not very intuitively designed...pushing the left button always moves the cursor enough for it to cause me to select other items on the screen. However, with that said I can definitely see the benefit of owning a laptop with touchscreen.

So I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's a good choice to even move on to Windows 8 with a touchscreen or am I better off sticking with windows 7?

Also, does it makes sense to get a laptop or a tablet that I could use as an all in one and dock as my workstation comp? (I'm attempting to keep things simple with less stuff) Maybe it's a good idea to keep my current desktop or upgrade my desktop and just get a tablet or a min-pc?

Would greatly appreciate some opinions or advice here.

Thanks. I am still looking to get a TV as well so I am trying to stay at about $300-400 for laptop or tablet. I like that the Dell is on the PC platform however I think it may be too small for me which would also leave out the Nexus 7. I'm considering the Dell Venue 11, of course with its price point I'm not sure what I will do unless I get a cheaper TV (which I'm looking to spend about $650 on). I also like the Venue accessories to virtually turn it into a laptop. I really don't want to spend much more than a combined $1000-1200 (TV and laptop/tablet) I have my computer graphics degree from learning on Macs - I'm wondering if it makes sense to try and find even an older MacBook. I'm typing this on my friend's iPad and it is not bad - however I like that with the Dell you can do more productivity and have the touch tablet portability.

Someone in another forum I belong to mentioned the Kindle fire HD. Can anyone like these or can offer an opinion about any of these mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom