Laptop Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

monny1279

Solid State Member
Hey guys. I know that you can always upgrade the RAM of a laptop. And I am going to cause I need it, but I also need some better specs and can't afford to get new laptop. Is it possible for me to pay a computer shop a substantial amount of money to unsauder my processor and video card and put new ones in?

No. The amount of money you would pay them, will be the same as buying a new laptop.

CPUs are not soldered into the motherboard. Anything you could upgrade the CPU to would be slight. Laptops do not have as wide a range of choice as desktops do.

If the video card is integrated, there is nothing you can do about it, but replace the same one. If dedicated, you can't go much higher, due to the power requirements.

What is your budget, anyway? You can get a laptop or desktop for pretty cheap, depending upon your requirements.

Im a high school student and my laptop is pretty good. I don't have a good budget. The problem is everytime I run one thing my freaking CPU usage spikes to 100% and im worried if it's error or actual processor problem....

I have intel i3 processor and onboard dual core video card. I try running games on high and it spikes like crazy then balances out and my fan turns on. However, it runs slow on start up afterwards if i do that. I have 4gb ram and are currently in process of upgrading to 16.

What games? If they spike your CPU, then don't play at high. Go medium or low settings.

Hold up, what manufacturer/model laptop do you have? You are expecting too much out of it..

Most likely you won't be able to upgrade to 16 gb of ram. 99% of all laptops made only have 2 slots for memory. The biggest memory chips available are 4 gig. I just bought a laptop that has 4 slots for memory and it came with 8 gig. They used 4 2 gig chips so I have 8 gig. They don't have 8 gig memory modules yet and plus most systems out now have a max of 8 gig anyways.

You say you have an i3 which is relatively new. It sounds like you should have spent a little more and purchased an i5 which will handle gaming alot better. Typically when you system is using too many resources you have stuff running that you don't know about or out of control apps lanched at startup. Typically this kind of stuff build ups over time and your system beings to slow down and more and more things get installed and uninstalled on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom